Premed 101 Forums

Canadian

10 hours ago, MJDCAL25 said:

Is it worth waiting or is it a better idea to just withdraw? 

This isn't the US where being a re-applicant is looked down upon. There is no benefit to withdrawing in Canada. UCalgary is very EC heavy anyway. A bad CARS or MCAT won't sink you if you have excellent ECs and are IP.

You paid the application fee for them to evaluate your application, it's the least they could do for 150 bucks.

8 hours ago, MJDCAL25 said:

I dont know how good my EC's are honestly, but i'm happy to share if that will give an idea of where I stand.

I'm terrible at evaluating ECs. Each school evaluates ECs differently anyway and I'm not sure how Calgary does it.

Anyway, mulling over it doesn't really matter at this point for this cycle. You either get an interview or you don't. Nothing that you do right now can impact that and that includes evaluating your ECs.

However, that's not the case for next cycle. Work on improving your ECs, especially if there are holes, and retake the MCAT for next cycle with a particular emphasis on the CARS section. Your GPA is only 0.01 less than the average matriculant so it's not what's holding you back. Median age of matriculant for UofA and UofC is 24.5 and 25.2 respectively. They love older applicants with great ECs.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:18 PM, zoxy said:

I'm terrible at evaluating ECs. Each school evaluates ECs differently anyway and I'm not sure how Calgary does it.

Anyway, mulling over it doesn't really matter at this point for this cycle. You either get an interview or you don't. Nothing that you do right now can impact that and that includes evaluating your ECs.

However, that's not the case for next cycle. Work on improving your ECs, especially if there are holes, and retake the MCAT for next cycle with a particular emphasis on the CARS section. Your GPA is only 0.01 less than the average matriculant so it's not what's holding you back. Median age of matriculant for UofA and UofC is 24.5 and 25.2 respectively. They love older applicants with great ECs.

Thank you

This is one of those no downside in pure logical terms with possible no matter how remote upside. They only cost is you may get a formal rejection at some point of course and for some that can be psychologically damaging - I don't want to dismiss that of course - but still in life when you get into this relatively no risk possible gain situations you have to just do it really and hope for the best while preparing for the next stage regardless. 

• 3 months later...
  • LeVoutee changed the title to Canadian