Premed 101 Forums

New ECs in CV

FutureYodaMD

Hi everyone!

I recently joined a program that offers free tutoring for high school students (affiliated with the university). I only started a month ago, and I'm wondering if this is worth adding onto my CV?
It's a great experience so far, but not sure if it's too "early on" to be added onto my CV. Literally only have about 10 hours clocked in so far.

Thanks in advance :)

On 10/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, FutureYodaMD said:

Hi everyone!

I recently joined a program that offers free tutoring for high school students (affiliated with the university). I only started a month ago, and I'm wondering if this is worth adding onto my CV?
It's a great experience so far, but not sure if it's too "early on" to be added onto my CV. Literally only have about 10 hours clocked in so far.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, kinda related question, do you think it would be an okay idea to start volunteering at a hospital this month (November) considering the application deadline is in March? I feel like it might seem like too much of a rushed activity but tbh I have very few things to put on my cv and I'm getting desperate lol

9 hours ago, mid said:

Hey, kinda related question, do you think it would be an okay idea to start volunteering at a hospital this month (November) considering the application deadline is in March? I feel like it might seem like too much of a rushed activity but tbh I have very few things to put on my cv and I'm getting desperate lol

Hey! 

I think it would be great if you actually want to do it, not just because you want to fill up your CV :( 

But remember, the CV is not about who did the most volunteering in their first 18 years of life, they know we are young and don't expect us to have that much experience. The CV is all about finding things that helped you grow and become who you are as of right now. They want to know what you gained from past experiences (i.e. if you did some comitees while in high school or cegep, you most likely developed your teamworking skills, or problem solving skills, etc) 

But if you're actually interested in volunteering, go for it! I did some volunteering at the CHUL this summer and it just confirmed even more that I want to be a doc ;)

Wishing you the best :wub:

39 minutes ago, Med-dream101 said:

Hey! 

I think it would be great if you actually want to do it, not just because you want to fill up your CV :( 

But remember, the CV is not about who did the most volunteering in their first 18 years of life, they know we are young and don't expect us to have that much experience. The CV is all about finding things that helped you grow and become who you are as of right now. They want to know what you gained from past experiences (i.e. if you did some comitees while in high school or cegep, you most likely developed your teamworking skills, or problem solving skills, etc) 

But if you're actually interested in volunteering, go for it! I did some volunteering at the CHUL this summer and it just confirmed even more that I want to be a doc ;)

Wishing you the best :wub:

ahhh thank u!! i definitely don't want to volunteer just to fill up my cv, it's more I was wondering how they would look at it :) I think I'll go for it, thanks for the advice <3