Premed 101 Forums

Considering nursing or pharmacy in Canada

Zhong

Hello, so I graduated in 2020 with a degree in chemistry and applied to medical school two cycles in a row. I interviewed twice and did VERY horribly and therefor was rejected twice. I'm now considering going into nursing or pharmacy. Has anyone else made the switch from med to one of those professions? How did you decide? I'm currently working as a pharmacy assistant at a big retail chain in canada and am not liking it very much. But I'm wondering if it's because of the large chain environment. However, there is a possibility I'd go through pharmacy school and end up working at a large chain anyway. I don't know what to do. 

I also can't tell if I'm giving up too early? or if the interviews really do indicate I would make an awful physician? I really want to work in health care which is why I'm trying to switch gears. Or should I stick to my original goal of becoming a doctor? The interview rejection just really killed my confidence, and I've been trying to brainstorm what to do next ever since.

which school(s) did you interview at? did you apply again this cycle?

The vast majority of pharmacy grads will end up working at large retail chains, very few ending up in a hospital. I don't know much about nursing.

It is possible to improve your interview performance and get accepted eventually. There are many things you can do/practice to improve your performance. On this forum there have been people who got 5th percentile interview scores intially or for a couple cycles straight but turn that into an acceptance 1-2 years later with enough perseverance and practice.