Premed 101 Forums

R score

L0LLYP0P

Meh, you're probably gonna end up with a similar R score either way but I like unified groups better just because they're more predictable and more accurate.

When you're only compared to your class it can be a bit of a luck of the draw since outliers can have more of an impact on the statistics of the group. By outliers I mean people who contribute to a high IFG but do poorly in a class (good for your R score) and people who lower the IFG but do very well (bad for your R score). These students should be few and far between, but they might be distributed unevenly between the classes of a same course. So with separate calculations for each class, you might get a bit screwed, or you might get a bit of an edge depending on who you end up with as classmates, which is out of your hands.

This is obviously assuming that different classes have the same (or similar) evaluations. If all profs grade differently, and *your* prof is a particularly easy grader, then you'd benefit from being part of a unified R score calculation group. The opposite also applies.

17 hours ago, Basique said:

Within general education courses you're compared with students having the same teacher and course. For sciences all the cohort is taken into account, so you shouldn't rely on your class average/SD.

Okay so if my teacher is really bad in one of my science classes, and everyone is having a hard time passing with her, we r screwed ? 

From that perspective yes, but you shouldn't rely only on her lectures. There are tons of material available on the internet that might be more beneficial than listening a 2-hour class. When I was in cegep, some of my classmates only came during the exams and still did pretty well! You can still DM me if you have more questions :)

1 hour ago, Basique said:

From that perspective yes, but you shouldn't rely only on her lectures. There are tons of material available on the internet that might be more beneficial than listening a 2-hour class. When I was in cegep, some of my classmates only came during the exams and still did pretty well! You can still DM me if you have more questions :)

Yeaaah for sure!  Thank u so much!