Premed 101 Forums

Trigger Warning: Mental Health Crisis

skye007

Hi, 

Never posted here before. Currently a med student and been going through a rough time. I had a suicide attempt and still been unable to get better. I know they say medical students and doctors are at greater risk for suicide and depression. But I feel like no one talks about it or really helps. Do we think mental health will be less stigmatized in during our career? 

Thanks 

Skye007

1 hour ago, skye007 said:

I had a suicide attempt and still been unable to get better.

Seek treatment, defer a year of med school to work on your MH. If you're struggling in med school you're going to get crushed in residency unless you get ahead of your own health. Believe me it will be far better to delay school to get treatment, and documented med school breaks for medical reasons won't hurt your residency app or career.

16 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Seek treatment, defer a year of med school to work on your MH. If you're struggling in med school you're going to get crushed in residency unless you get ahead of your own health. Believe me it will be far better to delay school to get treatment, and documented med school breaks for medical reasons won't hurt your residency app or career.

I agree. It's always far more important to take care of yourself first, and before you think about helping others.

I think mental health and medicine are slowly getting less stigmatized and things (hopefully) will only get better.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:19 PM, skye007 said:

Hi, 

Never posted here before. Currently a med student and been going through a rough time. I had a suicide attempt and still been unable to get better. I know they say medical students and doctors are at greater risk for suicide and depression. But I feel like no one talks about it or really helps. Do we think mental health will be less stigmatized in during our career? 

Thanks 

Skye007

Hi,

Thank you for sharing something so personal. Know that just you taking the time to post on here is already a step in the right direction. You're here today and you are fighting for yourself, and that is something to be proud of. It shows you want to seek help and want to help yourself get better. Would you be open to talking to someone about this? This could be anyone you trust such as close relatives or bestfriends for example. Also, the Canada Suicide Prevention Centre is a bilingual resource available to you 24/7 Canada-wide 833-456-4566. There is also https://www.crisistextline.ca/ the crisis text line that is also available 24/7.