Premed 101 Forums

10 year exclusion rule

Hi. 
I did my undergraduate degree in Asia more than 10 years ago. Did my Master degree in Canada. 

I noticed Calgary MD admission manual mentioned the 10 year exclusion rule.  Can any one confirm, Does it mean any courses taken more than 10 years ago will NOT be considered for admission?  Or I have the option to use the old transcripts OR invoke the 10 year exclusion rule?

U Alberta MD does not mention the 10 year exclusion rule.  I am an Alberta resident and these 2 Medicine schools are my top choice. 

Calgary VS UAlberta. Which MD program is less competitive?

thank you very much 

2 hours ago, MasterDoc said:

So for UCalgary, they won't consider GPA as part of your application. You can also email them and ask them questions.

As for the competiveness both Calgary and Alberta are completive. You need to apply to both to have a chance, and more Ontario schools too. 

Good luck.

I am Alberta resident. Thought Calgary and Alberta would be easier than other provinces such as Ontario schools.  

I check the 10 years exclusion rule. It is optional. You can choose to use it or you can exclude it. Any one confirm this?

They always have higher standard for out of province applicants ?

For Calgary, there will be a check box in the application giving you the choice to invoke the 10 year exclusion rule (ie. it is optional). Given that it sounds like using this rule for you would not give you a calculable GPA, you should not click that box.

The 10 year exclusion rule is unique to Calgary, so UofA does not use it.

You are right that Calgary and Alberta are likely your best shots as an Alberta resident, but some Ontario schools do not consider province of residence as long as you are a Canadian PR/citizen. I would take a look at each schools' website to see if applying would be a good idea for you. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Hannahh said:

I am Alberta resident. Thought Calgary and Alberta would be easier than other provinces such as Ontario schools.  

I check the 10 years exclusion rule. It is optional. You can choose to use it or you can exclude it. Any one confirm this?

They always have higher standard for out of province applicants ?

Yes for your Calgary and Alberta should be easier than Ontario schools, but all Ontario schools except McMaster and NOSM don't have IP bias and they evaluate all applicants equally. So defiantly apply to Ontario as well. 

On 10/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, MasterDoc said:

Yes for your Calgary and Alberta should be easier than Ontario schools, but all Ontario schools except McMaster and NOSM don't have IP bias and they evaluate all applicants equally. So defiantly apply to Ontario as well. 

Thank you so much for your information. Do you know other med schools nationwide which do not have out of province bias? I don't think I will apply for the super competitive schools. 

For the ten year exclusion rule to work, you still need 2 full time undergrad years to be used for the GPA calculation; even with your masters. So they will still require that undergrad GPA if you don't have any other (specifically undergrad) GPAs to use. You can exclude the first two years though and just use the last two (but not any ofter combination)

Your master's, unless it was course based with 18 units per year, they don't count it towards GPA at all. So any thesis based master's doesn't count (im upset by this rule because my PhD doesn't count for any kind of GPA boost :()

• 3 weeks later...

I should specify: In my initial email inquiry, I indicated to the adcom my own particular geographical status.

Although in their answer their wording can be interpreted as a generalization for all OOP applicants when taken out of context, it’s likely that the WGPA cut off (3.87) listed in adcom’s answer is specific to applicants with my geographical status.

nonetheless, it confirms that Ottawa has different gpa cut offs for OOP applicants, which was my main point.