Premed 101 Forums

Canadian's Chances at USDO

Hi All,

First, thank you for taking the time to read my post :) I'm feeling at a loss with the Canadian medical school system and I told myself that I would consider USDO after my second application cycle to Canadian MD. I'm wondering what my chances are at USDO or if I should just throw my hat in at this point. Stats are below (DISCLAIMER: I know my cGPA is trash):

1st year: 2.69

2nd year: 2.36

3rd year: 3.46

4th year: 3.97

5th year: 3.97

All GPA calculations have been AMCAS adjusted. I'm completing a thesis based MSc which I know means nothing to the US. My ECs I think are pretty good (at least since high school, I'm not sure if the US schools let you go back that far?) with a lot of research (hopefully publications after I finish my MSc), hospital volunteering (high school), homeless shelter volunteering, mentoring/academic advising, president of two clubs with 400+ hours, I sponsor a single mother, and some other hobbies that have a lot of hours put into it (ex. playing an instrument for the last two decades). I've also got some scholarships, one of which is NSERC.

I'm well aware that my GPA is terrible. My upward trend is great but my overall is horrible. I know that will be a limiting factor. My MCAT was also a 506 (126/126/127/127), hoping to rewrite prior to May. I know I'm missing a second physics so will need to figure out how to get it before I apply and I'm missing a physician reference but again, I can work on that when I graduate in December. If it helps, money probably isn't an issue... I'm willing to spend the big bucks to the US if it means getting me in somewhere..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)