Premed 101 Forums

Is biology a good major for Medicine?

KozyKimo

Hello,

I'm currently a first year student in Biology at the University of Montreal (pretty much the same thing as McGill). I'm currently studying about plants, fungis and other unicellular organisms and I'm not really liking it (The courses in the next term are more human physiology-oriented courses)... So I've been tempted to switch to a more like "Anatomy and Cell Biology" or "Microbiology and Immunology". However I'd like to know if the Biology major itself is a good preparation for med school?

Another question I have: I've noticed that there are both Biology and Life Sciences majors at McGill, one at the downtown campus and another in MacDonald. Does any of them prepare me better/is easier than the other for med school. 

Thanks!

The only issue for you is what Program will maximize your opportunity to attain the highest GPA. Biology per se is not, in my opinion, a great prep, however, pre-meds study almost anything. I took the Specialization Program at Exercise Science in Concordia which I thought prepared me well for med, especially with the internships involving the elderly chronically ill and I attained straight A's. Taking a Program that interests you usually motivates one to work hard and attain high grades.

15 hours ago, KozyKimo said:

Hello,

I'm currently a first year student in Biology at the University of Montreal (pretty much the same thing as McGill). I'm currently studying about plants, fungis and other unicellular organisms and I'm not really liking it (The courses in the next term are more human physiology-oriented courses)... So I've been tempted to switch to a more like "Anatomy and Cell Biology" or "Microbiology and Immunology". However I'd like to know if the Biology major itself is a good preparation for med school?

Another question I have: I've noticed that there are both Biology and Life Sciences majors at McGill, one at the downtown campus and another in MacDonald. Does any of them prepare me better/is easier than the other for med school. 

Thanks!

Choose a major that genuinely interests you. Of course, each medical school admissions have specific prerequisites requirements, so make sure you take those accordingly. However, you'll get the best GPA when you're studying something you're passionate/motivated about. Trust me, I learned the hard way! I wouldn't say there's "easier" majors because it depends on your motivation for learning, and that motivation stems from genuinely caring about the topics, whether that's biology, history, chemistry, music, literature, psychology, engineering, etc.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Bambi said:

The only issue for you is what Program will maximize your opportunity to attain the highest GPA. Biology per se is not, in my opinion, a great prep, however, pre-meds study almost anything. I took the Specialization Program at Exercise Science in Concordia which I thought prepared me well for med, especially with the internships involving the elderly chronically ill and I attained straight A's. Taking a Program that interests you usually motivates one to work hard and attain high grades.

Just out of curiosity, did you get into med school in the end?