Premed 101 Forums

Taking 1 or 2 unclassified 5th year courses?

Sorry if this has been answered before already, I tried to look but didn't find an answer. 

If I am taking 6-9 credits of courses (over the whole year from September to April) as an unclassified 5th year student, as pre-reqs for other programs (as back up for med lol), will these count towards my AGPA when applying to med next fall? Does scoring poorly in these classes hurt my chances? Or do only my 4 years of undergrad contribute to my AGPA?

EDIT: And if they do look at all years, does this year qualify to be "dropped" if it is worse than my worst year? For example, if my GPA in these 6 credits is worse than my worst year (which has 30 credits), would these 6 credits be excluded from my GPA *instead* of those 30 credits?

Thanks

Great questions! Smart of you to parallel plan and keep other options open. 

I sort of did this, I went back and took a couple classes after I graduated. 

Yes UBC will look at your OGPA and your AGPA. These courses will be included in your OGPA for sure. They would be included in your AGPA if it is not your worst year. My understanding is that they will drop worst year, whenever that is. 

When they do a full file review (after interview) they do look at trends and overall performance. Having low grades recently may hurt your chances a bit. My advice is do your best to get the best grades you can in these courses. :)

Good luck!