Premed 101 Forums

Should i continue the pre med grind or just yeet into nursing

So im in my 3rd yr right now in phys pharm. first yr was trash and ended up with a 73% average (7 classes). 2nd year took 12 classes and god blessed me with an 89.91. So currently im sitting on an 83.57% average with like 12 hard 3rd and 4th yr classes to complete which could add some 70s to my average and 6 electives left. I was wondering if i should expect the gpa to drop over the nxt 2 yrs or does it usually improve for student after their 2nd yr

I would worry about doing your best and spacing out the harder courses. Don't think too much about grades. If you're in Ontario, yes, your chances are slim-to-none for most schools (Western takes your best two years), but here for SK, if you meet the cutoff, which doesn't seem like you'll have any issue doing, post interview, your gpa will only account for 30% of you application. It's a matter of whether or not you want to do medschool and pursue that. Keep in mind, nursing may be harder to get a higher gpa compared to phys pharm (depends on the person of course).

4 hours ago, NonTraditionalStudent said:

I would worry about doing your best and spacing out the harder courses. Don't think too much about grades. If you're in Ontario, yes, your chances are slim-to-none for most schools (Western takes your best two years), but here for SK, if you meet the cutoff, which doesn't seem like you'll have any issue doing, post interview, your gpa will only account for 30% of you application. It's a matter of whether or not you want to do medschool and pursue that. Keep in mind, nursing may be harder to get a higher gpa compared to phys pharm (depends on the person of course).

I heard rumours that the admissions board puts more emphasis on ur uaa of the last 2years for trajectory of progress or something like that, is it true???

1 hour ago, FutureDoctorWith5.2iq said:

I heard rumours that the admissions board puts more emphasis on ur uaa of the last 2years for trajectory of progress or something like that, is it true???

No emphasis is put on trajectory or last two years in calculating or applying UAA for USask. However, if you have more than 120 credits in your undergrad degree, they'll calculate your UAA from the most recent 120 credits irrespective of the trend, and whether it's to your advantage or disadvantage.  In your case, dropping the earlier bad grades would be to your advantage if you had more than 120 credits.

However, it should be noted that the UofS requires your undergrad degree to be completed in 5 years or less. Also taking undergrad classes after graduation wouldn't be included in your UAA unless they were to lead to another 4 year degree.

Complete procedures and explanations can be found here:

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/saskatchewan-resident-applicant-information.pdf

1 hour ago, FutureDoctorWith5.2iq said:

2years for trajectory of progress or something like that, is it true

Western and Queens use the last two years for calculating GPA. You'd need 85+ in your last two years, a solid MCAT, and good ECs to have a crack at those.