Premed 101 Forums

Books for clerkship

Harrison's for IM

Step up to internal medicine (more relevant for US but I like how it's written)

Approach to internal medicine by Hui et al

I read all of the core rotation case file series (ex. case files general surg, fm, etc) 

Surgical recall 

Since I came from UofA they had this book called the Edmonton Manual that was useful for rapid OSCE reviews

I know the UofT group/students wrote a book called essentials of the clinical examination that is also good 

I have the clinical guidelines for family medicine that I also used during residency 

There are many more but those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head

- G

I liked all the first aid series, didn't get to read them all but did help find a lot of info.

I had a copy of step up to medicine, but didn't read it that much so never got to really use it too its fullest.

Case files are fantastic, loved the questions and answers in there, very high yield.

surgical recall: wasn't too sure, some nice info and high yield stuff. I am not a surgeon so a lot of it didn't interest me too much. I heard people who liked surgery enjoyed it.

For IM, there was this green book by Mass general hospital that was a good pocket reference, I think it's a purple book now?

and of course uptodate saved many asses lol

On 11/17/2021 at 10:41 PM, GH0ST said:

Harrison's for IM

I read all of the core rotation case file series (ex. case files general surg, fm, etc) 

Surgical recall 

Since I came from UofA they had this book called the Edmonton Manual that was useful for rapid OSCE reviews

I know the UofT group/students wrote a book called essentials of the clinical examination that is also good 

I have the clinical guidelines for family medicine that I also used during residency 

There are many more but those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head

- G

did you read all of these? is it necessary? (genuine question)

21 hours ago, whatdoido said:

did you read all of these? is it necessary? (genuine question)

No way anyone reads all of Harrison's cover to cover unless they really like IM 

I just skimmed large book's sections based on cases I was exposed to or based on study objectives. 

- G 

• 1 year later...

I learn by going through cases and testing myself so although they a bit outdated and use american values for tests, the Case Files series became my go to for a majority of my rotations. They present the content in a case-based format and they helped me a lot for both getting ready for end of rotation exams but also being prepared and having an approach to cases on the wards. 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:41 PM, GH0ST said:

Harrison's for IM

Surgical recall 

- G

If you actually looked through these books good for you, you must be some kind of nerd haha (I mean this in a good way!). but this is way way way overkill for clerkship. 

OP all you need is the free videos on onlinemeded and occasional use of google. Ain't no one got time to go through harrison's lmao. I did get surgical recall but found it of limited use as surgeons cease talking to you once you tell them you are not interested in surgery (still got good evals lol).

Any way 95% of getting good evals, atleast in my school, is passing the vibe check with your residents and staff. Almost no one really cares that much how much medical knowledge a clerk has. For fourth year it's a different story and you'll want to read into your specialty a bit more. For me I used the red book and green book for rad onc. But even then vibe check > knowledge.