Premed 101 Forums

How do people match OOP

AB27

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, AB27 said:

Beyond doing an elective rotation is there anything else one should be doing? I am hoping for vascular or cardiac surgery and would like to train in BC.

I think with COVID and no/limited visiting electives, your best bet for networking is research with faculty/residents at UBC. Secondly, you want to focus on exceling in electives at your home school--vascular and cardiac surgery are small words, and you never know which attendings/residents may talk to each other about candidates. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, AB27 said:

Beyond doing an elective rotation is there anything else one should be doing? I am hoping for vascular or cardiac surgery and would like to train in BC.

Reach out to some of the residents, look through the faculty list on websites, look for resident lists, sometimes these are on websites. Also look through their research to find some of their names. A lot of faculty have emails on the website and that is often a great place to start. 

Biggest thing will be the elective but oftentimes a relationship through research that is built up over the years is even stronger. 

Keep in mind that like others said, your impression starts with your first email and while that may seem stressful, it is important to keep that in mind. 

12 hours ago, Edict said:

Reach out to some of the residents, look through the faculty list on websites, look for resident lists, sometimes these are on websites. Also look through their research to find some of their names. A lot of faculty have emails on the website and that is often a great place to start. 

What should my goal be in contacting residents? As a student across the country I imagine I wouldn't be able to get involved in a lot of the research. Is there something I should look for in particular that would be more conducive to remote work?

5 minutes ago, AB27 said:

What should my goal be in contacting residents? As a student across the country I image I wouldn't be able to get involved in a lot of the research. Is there something I should look for in particular that would be more conducive to remote work?

When contacting residents, you can ask to get advice or speak with them regarding their specialty and their program. Most will be happy to help. 

That's a fair point, I know that editorials and case reports are easy to work on remotely as long as the staff or resident provides you with some basic information. May also be better to do research at your home institution first before contacting them though, so you can do a good job with them.