Premed 101 Forums

So how’s everyone feeling?

I feel meh. I was not a fan of the multi part questions.  But they were fair and on topics that we should all be aware of.  I feel like I didn't bring anything novel in terms of solutions or suggestions though,  so I'm a little disappointed in myself.  Oh well,  the good part is that I only have to dwell on that for 4 months now.  

Well I’ve had a few days to digest and wanted to post my comments on here for anyone else feeling a bit blindsided by that interview. I’m very confused by the questions they asked. First thing I thought the length of the questions was a bit unfair. There were so many levels to uncover and it was so easy to get lost in the prompt when you had to answer so many different questions. I feel like 95% of applicants will have given similar opinions to the issues that were posed. This says 2 things to me. One, there is very little chance for applicants to distinguish themselves from others, so I feel they’re going to have a massive challenge on their hands distinguishing between between applicants in their scoring system. From reading on here and **DELETED** it appears that anyone who prepared for the interview was ready to provide anecdotes about themselves to give the admissions committee a sense of who they were. However, the questions that were asked gave little to no opportunities to do that. Second, to me, it appears they are looking for a specific type of student. Someone who who is well versed in these issues to help tackle them in the future as a med student and as a doctor. That’s all fine and well. But I think it’s unfair to expect students to have the answers for these questions before ever attending one day of medical school. Each applicant will have different experiences, some being more fortunate than others to have been in situations where they have learned of ways to tackle various issues in healthcare. Perhaps their aim was to see the diverse opinion of applicants on a variety of issues. But, in my opinion, I think that the experiences that lead to someone’s desire to pursue medicine and develop the skills to become a good doctor are also important and not giving the applicants the opportunity to express these experiences was a missed opportunity. 
As unfair as I felt the questions were, and it appears I’m not alone in this, it’s important to keep in mind that everyone had to answer the same challenging questions. Whatever you’re feeling deep down about that interview and your performance, it’s highly likely you are not alone. Unfortunately with so many qualified applicants there’s a lot of luck in this process. I feel that there’s going to be even more of an element of luck this year with the lack of opportunity to provide whoever is reviewing your interview answers with personalization that shows who you are. I’m sure there’s people who disagree with me and I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless of your thoughts on the interview or how you got to that stage, we’re all still in it! Best of luck to all of you! I’m hoping good news comes your way next spring!

That question set was interesting to say the least. As someone that does hiring interviews in a different industry I was really taken aback by the direction some of the questions took. Let's just say I would consider it a personal and professional failure if a candidate could confidently predict my political affiliations based on job interview questions that I asked them.  

We'll see what happens in the Spring, but I am not optimistic.

2 hours ago, Gameofthrones123 said:

Well I’ve had a few days to digest and wanted to post my comments on here for anyone else feeling a bit blindsided by that interview. I’m very confused by the questions they asked. First thing I thought the length of the questions was a bit unfair. There were so many levels to uncover and it was so easy to get lost in the prompt when you had to answer so many different questions. I feel like 95% of applicants will have given similar opinions to the issues that were posed. This says 2 things to me. One, there is very little chance for applicants to distinguish themselves from others, so I feel they’re going to have a massive challenge on their hands distinguishing between between applicants in their scoring system. From reading on here and **DELETED** it appears that anyone who prepared for the interview was ready to provide anecdotes about themselves to give the admissions committee a sense of who they were. However, the questions that were asked gave little to no opportunities to do that. Second, to me, it appears they are looking for a specific type of student. Someone who who is well versed in these issues to help tackle them in the future as a med student and as a doctor. That’s all fine and well. But I think it’s unfair to expect students to have the answers for these questions before ever attending one day of medical school. Each applicant will have different experiences, some being more fortunate than others to have been in situations where they have learned of ways to tackle various issues in healthcare. Perhaps their aim was to see the diverse opinion of applicants on a variety of issues. But, in my opinion, I think that the experiences that lead to someone’s desire to pursue medicine and develop the skills to become a good doctor are also important and not giving the applicants the opportunity to express these experiences was a missed opportunity. 
As unfair as I felt the questions were, and it appears I’m not alone in this, it’s important to keep in mind that everyone had to answer the same challenging questions. Whatever you’re feeling deep down about that interview and your performance, it’s highly likely you are not alone. Unfortunately with so many qualified applicants there’s a lot of luck in this process. I feel that there’s going to be even more of an element of luck this year with the lack of opportunity to provide whoever is reviewing your interview answers with personalization that shows who you are. I’m sure there’s people who disagree with me and I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless of your thoughts on the interview or how you got to that stage, we’re all still in it! Best of luck to all of you! I’m hoping good news comes your way next spring!

I agree with this! I also felt that the question lengths were very unfair considering while answering the question you could only see a small portion of it. It was particularly difficult reading and trying to answer every part of the question while maintaining eye contact with the camera, and also giving a response! I didn’t think the questions topics were bad in general, I just thought there would be a maximum of 2 healthcare related issue questions in the whole interview. My only thought is they possibly are using the supplemental form and essays to get to know who you are as an individual and instead use the interview to see applicants’ stances on issues to find red flags or opinions they don’t agree with. I just really hope they have some reliable evaluation system that will actually be able to differentiate us. But overall, I was so frustrated and upset immediately following the interview so I’m glad I’m not alone.