Premed 101 Forums

IP status verified? or not?

Med201920

3 hours ago, Med201920 said:

no big difference though.

if you are 6f2 tall you are in the top 10% of men, almost no matter where you go (unless it is the NBA). this is why I am saying that I expect inter-day changes to be slight but the difference between the casper pool and the applicant to slightly higher. so far, even those in the first quartile are applying. and if I were them, I would apply too (because most didn't know there results before hand.

the second part of my comment is mostly a speculation. but the first part cannot change that much (it's not like the first day of the casper is general population and the last day is NBA level)

I'd say the majority of applicants knew their quartile before applying. And if people in the first quartile are systematically screening themselves out by not applying, or at least to a large extent, then it could have a fairly significant impact. We don't know whether or not that's the case, but I can certainly see that happening especially given the high application fee 

3 hours ago, Med201920 said:
4 hours ago, capoo said:

which might not be the case, not everyone doing the casper on a given date will apply to med McGill so the actual candidate pool at McGill (and their average result) might be different than the general casper pool

Expand  

no big difference though.

I’m inclined to agree more with capoo on this. While there’s no guarantee that the pools are very heterogeneous, there exists the possibility that they are.

the way I understand it, suppose on Day 1, four people write the same casper test and obtain grades of 10%, 20%, 30% and 40% respectively. Now that 40% person will have achieved a 4th quartile score.

then, on Day 2, four other people write the same casper test and obtain grades of 50%, 60%, 70% and 80% respectively. Now assuming all 8 applicants are applying to the same school and program, all of a sudden that 4th quartile score from Day 1 (the 40% grade) translates only into a 2nd quartile score overall, compared against everybody going for the same school/program.

and this doesn’t factor in the fact that not everyone is applying to the same program and school (it’s a health science casper, not a med casper specifically). So for instance if the ppl who got 10%, 20% and 30% on Day 1 in the hypothetical above weren’t even applying to med, then that 40% score from Day 1 would lose even more weight and become just a 1st quartile score overall compared with the applicant pool going for the same program and school.

a lot of speculation here haha kinda useless at this point cuz it’s beyond anyone’s control. Just hope for the best- good luck to everybody! :)

On 12/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, Telomerase31 said:

IP verified: Non, QC situation 7

Casper Quartile: 4th

First letter of your name:  G

Situation #: 7

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : YES

were you invited last year? : NO

L'année passé j'ai été verifié autour du 2 décembre, alors je ne stresse pas tout de suite ! Je me souviens que tout le monde avait été verifié avant moi :)

Hello everyone! J'ai été verifié aujourd'hui (7 dec) :) 

6 hours ago, MDee2B said:

I’m inclined to agree more with capoo on this. While there’s no guarantee that the pools are very heterogeneous, there exists the possibility that they are.

the way I understand it, suppose on Day 1, four people write the same casper test and obtain grades of 10%, 20%, 30% and 40% respectively. Now that 40% person will have achieved a 4th quartile score.

then, on Day 2, four other people write the same casper test and obtain grades of 50%, 60%, 70% and 80% respectively. Now assuming all 8 applicants are applying to the same school and program, all of a sudden that 4th quartile score from Day 1 (the 40% grade) translates only into a 2nd quartile score overall, compared against everybody going for the same school/program.

and this doesn’t factor in the fact that not everyone is applying to the same program and school (it’s a health science casper, not a med casper specifically). So for instance if the ppl who got 10%, 20% and 30% on Day 1 in the hypothetical above weren’t even applying to med, then that 40% score from Day 1 would lose even more weight and become just a 1st quartile score overall compared with the applicant pool going for the same program and school.

a lot of speculation here haha kinda useless at this point cuz it’s beyond anyone’s control. Just hope for the best- good luck to everybody! :)

I agree with your statement if there were 4 applicants per day as you said.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you based on the number (your logic is very sound, it just doesn't work with large numbers). there are 1600 quebec resident applicants. and we have estimated that 50% had the test on the last day possible (there is a thread that did a poll on this, I copied the estimates below), . you can see now why the 2 distribution must converge.

when you have such large number, you have to converge. it's the law of large numbers.

the other thing that could support your claim is the following: people having the test earlier "early birds" tend to have certain psychological characteristics (we can assume they more organized... and what not). people who do it on the last day possible could be assumed to be "less well organized, more keen on delaying the test...etc). these are purely speculative arguments. and if they were to be true. then the two groups would be intrinsically different and that could definitely sway the results in a significant way.

as to the fact that 1st quartile could be not applying. I am aware of that. but I think that ultimately it won't change much to the pre-screening since according to my calculation McGill is pre-screening out the bottom 16% only. (which is half of the 1st quartile, therefore making the first quartile eligible if they have a high enough GPA). but it could definitely be possible that students are screening themselves out! defintely possible (I would screen myself out for Ulaval and Udem, but not for McGill or UdeS  though as these 2 don't rely heavily on the Casper)

god I love this investigation we are doing!

image.thumb.png.61991539b972bf7ae1e9c648f6caa14c.png

18 hours ago, notacliche said:

Is anyone absolutely certain there is a correlation between the ip status verification on minerva and making the cutoff, or is this just total speculation?

For what it's worth:

IP verified: No (as of Dec 6 pm)

Casper Quartile:  4th

First letter of your name:  first 4 letters of alphabet

Situation #: 6

were you verified last year? : I certainly was the year prior, last year I believe so, too but can't remember for sure

were you invited last year? : no; made it past file review and then ranked ~60th percentile in the prescreen cohort

hope this helps! :)

Hey @nostacliche do you remember the dates of the the various times we can expect the status to change, based on your experience ?

On 12/7/2021 at 2:53 AM, MDee2B said:

Casper scores are given in z-scores btw, so your first point doesn't really hold... but the 2nd absolutely does make sense, and was exactly what I was talking about :)

Just now, nightman14 said:

IP verified: Yes on Dec 09

Casper Quartile: 2nd

First letter of your name: A

Situation #: 6

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : Yes

were you invited last year? : No

also, this is my friend's informations:

IP verified: Yes on dec 09

Casper Quartile: 1st

First letter of your name:  first three

Situation #:6

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : No

pretty sure he got screened out last year. Hope this helps. :)

15 minutes ago, nightman14 said:

if reapplicant,

He must have had great academic then

1 hour ago, nightman14 said:

if reapplicant,

Thanks for sharing with. Your stats corroborate my theory on this. Only the bottom half of the 1st quartile gets screened out (around the 16th percentile)

1 hour ago, Naz said:

He must have had great academic then

Like a friend of mine who ranks consistently  1st in academic section in 2019 and 2018 (and about 600th on the casper) and got ranked 16th overall. However just like me he didn't get interviewed in 2020 when they introduced the Casper cutoff

8 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Like a friend of mine who ranks consistently  1st in academic section in 2019 and 2018 (and about 600th on the casper) and got ranked 16th overall. However just like me he didn't get interviewed in 2020 when they introduced the Casper cutoff

So you are saying they did not enter the prescreening/ file review phase?

28 minutes ago, Naz said:

So you are saying they did not enter the prescreening/ file review phase?

not yet. the only checked for Cut-off's of GPA and Casper.

now, they will start the CV review I guess (which is the only thing that makes the review complete).

I guess they are using the cutoff to reduce the load on their CV reviewing team.

but at this point and if my inferences are correct. if you had an interview in the previous cycles. you are very very likely to get interviewed again (assuming your stats didn't change). unless the pool of applicants magically becomes super super competitive which I very much doubt as it would be against the law of large numbers.

this is specially true if your GPA is hyper competitive

20 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

now, they will start the CV review I guess (which is the only thing that makes the review complete).

I guess they are using the cutoff to reduce the load on their CV reviewing team.

but at this point and if my inferences are correct. if you had an interview in the previous cycles. you are very very likely to get interviewed again (assuming your stats didn't change). unless the pool of applicants magically becomes super super competitive which I very much doubt as it would be against the law of large numbers.

What would be considered a super competitive GPA for McGill?

25 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Hi ,

@med201920, do you know when we should expect future change in status ? or the next change will directly indicate if we were able to get an interview or not .

Cheers,

33 minutes ago, backinschool said:

What would be considered a super competitive GPA for McGill?

I would 3.87 plus for bio-med, bio chemistry

3.7 for law and architecture, neurosciences, engineering (I friend rank in top 10 with 3.7 with law, that was in 2019 when they were disclosing detailed ranking).

so it all depends on fields

if that can help. I ranked 20ish in 2019 with 3.97 in molecular biology + master in epidemiology

30 minutes ago, Loki_MD said:

Hi ,

@med201920, do you know when we should expect future change in status ? or the next change will directly indicate if we were able to get an interview or not .

Cheers,

I think we won't see anymore change until late january for invites. because the only thing missing is the assessment of the CV's at this point

51 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

I would 3.87 plus for bio-med, bio chemistry

3.7 for law and architecture, neurosciences, engineering (I friend rank in top 10 with 3.7 with law, that was in 2019 when they were disclosing detailed ranking).

so it all depends on fields

if that can help. I ranked 20ish in 2019 with 3.97 in molecular biology + master in epidemiology

Thanks for the info! I thought for McGill your rank was not influenced by your program. I was thinking only the french schools in Qc did the ranking based on the CRU and the strength of the program.

41 minutes ago, backinschool said:

Thanks for the info! I thought for McGill your rank was not influenced by your program. I was thinking only the french schools in Qc did the ranking based on the CRU and the strength of the program.

Here, if this helps, this is from McGill’s website:

A candidate’s academic background is weighted at 70% during the prescreening process. Within this 70% academic score, 90% is based on the undergraduate CGPA and 10% is based on academic context. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (b) post-bachelor's academics and (c) the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order)

(https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/academic-evaluation)

25 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

Here, if this helps, this is from McGill’s website:

A candidate’s academic background is weighted at 70% during the prescreening process. Within this 70% academic score, 90% is based on the undergraduate CGPA and 10% is based on academic context. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (b) post-bachelor's academics and (c) the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order)

(https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/academic-evaluation)

Thanks so much @ceelbe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...