Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2021/22

49 minutes ago, coolbeansdog said:

How do you plan on improving your grades at this point? I am in a similar boat with the same NAQ range. 

I'll likely apply for a course based program (either 1 or 2 years) to add another years worth of credits minimum. Additionally over the next year I'll likely find work, continue building ECs, and maybe retake a course or two that I'm not happy with from my past while I work. Will not improve my GPA too much all things considered, but if I can demonstrate improvement and perform better on my MCAT rewrite I'm hoping to get a bit lucky one year with my NAQ score. to push myself past the threshold for an interview.

I think as someone with a lacklustre GPA (to say the least) it's critical to remind myself that this is going to be a long term goal rather than something that will happen in the next 1-2 years.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): wednesday whatever

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): regrets

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 84.xx

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS):

521 (129/131/132/129)

Geography (i.e. IP or OOP):

IP

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):

Non trad well out of university 

Some volunteering during school, lots of history with sports and activity but nothing high level

Excellent employment history ranging from construction, tutoring, nutrition, and 5 years in a a very relevant healthcare field including lots of collaborative care in an underserved population 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):

75-100

Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff)

I'm an older non-trad. First try applying and just to UBC this year so I'll see about boosting my NAQ and apply to a bunch of schools next year. Maybe have a shot at Mcmaster? 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 15
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86.6
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 516 (129/129/130/128)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Currently doing a thesis-based MSc. Lots of research experience (employment and volunteer basis) but no publications. CIHR award and another smaller research studentship. Many hours volunteering in the community with several organizations (leadership positions), few hours volunteering in the hospital, been helping run the family business for many years, some long-term hobbies, started my own small business during the pandemic.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 50-75
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 49... needed 53 for IP

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): I didn't even check because I spent Tuesday and Wednesday drinking to get up the courage to look at my email.

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 83.7

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520-130/130/131/129 

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):

I'm a non traditional applicant 2 years out of my undergrad but took a bunch of time off in the middle to do stupid stuff. I wasn't invited for an interview the last two years, but had 75-100% NAQ. It was disappointing since I was 1 point away from cutoff but it made sense - just look at the GPA. This year I went scorched earth with my ECs: I added in that I have a puppy, I host a cooking night for my friends once a month, long distance hiking, and I like going to the opera. 

My more traditional ECs include volunteering at my sports club (coaching, event planning, fundraising) for 12 years, student union leadership, a ton of fundraising for charities that work with people disabilities, crisis responding. I've had jobs as a TA, in diagnostic research (no pubs), Covid research/testing, and as an MOA. 

I didn't know I wanted to apply to Med until my last semester of undergrad (I was 25 then), so my application is all over the place - my friends say "well rounded."

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 10:22am December 14
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.xx
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 515 
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Currently doing a thesis-based MSc. Lots of research experience (employment and volunteer basis). 1 publication (5th author). CIHR award and another smaller research studentship. Many hours volunteering in the community with several organizations (leadership positions),  some leadership roles in UBC clubs, care-taking for my grandma, long-term sports activity with many hours (playing and coaching), other more recent hobbies with fewer hours. Spoke about how I overcame my personal health issues using sports.
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff):

3 hours ago, ahoy_sailor said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): I didn't even check because I spent Tuesday and Wednesday drinking to get up the courage to look at my email.

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 83.7

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520-130/130/131/129 

I'm a non traditional applicant 2 years out of my undergrad but took a bunch of time off in the middle to do stupid stuff. I wasn't invited for an interview the last two years, but had 75-100% NAQ. It was disappointing since I was 1 point away from cutoff but it made sense - just look at the GPA. This year I went scorched earth with my ECs: I added in that I have a puppy, I host a cooking night for my friends once a month, long distance hiking, and I like going to the opera. 

My more traditional ECs include volunteering at my sports club (coaching, event planning, fundraising) for 12 years, student union leadership, a ton of fundraising for charities that work with people disabilities, crisis responding. I've had jobs as a TA, in diagnostic research (no pubs), Covid research/testing, and as an MOA. 

I didn't know I wanted to apply to Med until my last semester of undergrad (I was 25 then), so my application is all over the place - my friends say "well rounded."

Good to see there's some hope for us low GPA non-trads. I was 1 point off this year with basically the same GPA. I've got some good ideas to boost my NAQ another couple points (they're things I'd like to do in my current field anyway even if they don't work).

Congrats and good luck at the MMIs!

9 hours ago, pre_med_penelope said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 15
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86.6
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 516 (129/129/130/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Currently doing a thesis-based MSc. Lots of research experience (employment and volunteer basis) but no publications. CIHR award and another smaller research studentship. Many hours volunteering in the community with several organizations (leadership positions), few hours volunteering in the hospital, been helping run the family business for many years, some long-term hobbies, started my own small business during the pandemic.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 50-75
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 49... needed 53 for IP

hey I think I got a similar score as you (47), with the same GPA but a lower percentile on the NAQ. I'm about to graduate uni so I feel like I probs can't improve GPA anymore.  how do you plan on improving your score for next year? any thoughts appreciated

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): R

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.5

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 516 (130,127,130,129)

Music performance and production ,sports coaching, club founder and exec, tutor, healthcare volunteering, research positions, etc. 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 50-74.99

Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff. 53%

Second year getting an R while getting a pre-interview score on the cutoff (53%). AGPA went up by 2%, NAQ went down from 75-100 even though I added new activities, publications, increased hours for previous activities. 

Time Stamp: Dec 13, 2021 10:46am
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): ~80
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 515 (131/127/130/127)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Master degree in research, 2 first author and 5 co-authors. Numerous small academic and professional awards. 15 employment entries (I've been working for a long time in healthcare and the industries). Community volunteering, blood donation, and hobbies. No rural application.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): last year 75-100
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff.): last year ~51

4th time applicant here and first interview invite.

1 hour ago, Crazydiamond13 said:

Time Stamp: Dec 13, 2021 10:46am
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): ~80
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 515 (131/127/130/127)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Master degree in research, 2 first author and 5 co-authors. Numerous small academic and professional awards. 15 employment entries (I've been working for a long time in healthcare and the industries). Community volunteering, blood donation, and hobbies. No rural application.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): last year 75-100
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff.): last year ~51

4th time applicant here and first interview invite.

Wow, thank you for sharing, gives the rest of us with low to mid range GPA's hope (my GPA is around 84- to 85). You mentioned that you have 15 employment entries. Was that all at once, or at different times in your life? I am trying to figure out how best I an increase my NAQ but getting confused whether working or volunteering would be the best option? applying for next cycle... 

Time Stamp: Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite 
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 94.xx%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (131/126/130/130)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Mediocre! No pubs, but lots of research! Some community involvement + clubs! DM me for more :)
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 1st yr applying :)

10 hours ago, SmileyMed said:

Wow, thank you for sharing, gives the rest of us with low to mid range GPA's hope (my GPA is around 84- to 85). You mentioned that you have 15 employment entries. Was that all at once, or at different times in your life? I am trying to figure out how best I an increase my NAQ but getting confused whether working or volunteering would be the best option? applying for next cycle... 

Hi SmileyMed, my employment entries were mostly at different times in my life. I've been working for more than 15 years since graduating with my bachelor's degree. Some of my jobs were part-time and could overlap, but some are full-time commitments. Hope this helps. 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:47 PM, Crazydiamond13 said:

Hi SmileyMed, my employment entries were mostly at different times in my life. I've been working for more than 15 years since graduating with my bachelor's degree. Some of my jobs were part-time and could overlap, but some are full-time commitments. Hope this helps. 

hi! did you mean 15 years of service or 15 different workplace? thank you :)

On 12/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, idontwannabehopeless said:

hi! did you mean 15 years of service or 15 different workplace? thank you :)

Hello idontwannabehopeless, I meant it has been 15 years since graduating with my bachelor's. Coincidently, I also put 15 employment entries. I've done some full-time plus part-time jobs here and there.

long time lurker... but I wanted to share my stats and contribute!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 10: 25am
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): ~85
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 511
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Non- traditional applicant, research, diverse volunteering and currently  working as a healthcare professional
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75-100 (last year)

• 2 weeks later...

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 13, 13:45 PST (early)
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): invite for both non-rural and rural seats
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): not sure around~89%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 128/128/129/130 (515)
ECs: Long term commitment at summer camp ministry with different roles within ~7 years, a couple of mission trips, various sports coach for youth of all ages, different leadership roles/jobs during undergrad, executive at a few clubs and joined some like Drama theatrics club, varsity sport teams like volleyball, soccer, and acrobatics. Hundreds of volunteer hours for different entries, and some hobbies like piano, violin, bullet journaling and travelling. Multiple biology and philosophy teacher assistant experience during undergrad and briefly an aquatics substitute instructor. I now currently teach Chemistry and Biology at a highschool. The year before I was a resource worker for full care of residential individuals of diverse mental and physical abilities for the year.

This is my first interview after a couple attempts, so its very exciting for me!

Hi all, sorry for the late post here!! 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): Dec 13th (MD/PhD) Dec 14th MD
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 3.99
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 131/125/131/131
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): About 10 publications, multiple presentations at conferences, regular old volunteering at hospitals and FP clinics, president of student clubs, some international volunteer work. 

This is my 4th application cycle and first interview invite. I am very excited !! If anyone would like to get together to form a virtual/zoom interview prep group please let me know/shoot me a message! I think this would be a great and valuable way to practice ! 

Similar to above post, sorry for lateness. I was busy eating too much over the holidays

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): Dec 14th MD
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 89%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 131/126/131/132
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Completed M.Sc. 5 Pubs. 2 Poster presentation. 2 oral presentations. Many unique ECs (DM if you want details). Vulnerable population volunteering. Society and orientation week leadership. Long term soccer and wrestling.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): N/A
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): N/A

Hope this help! Do not feel discouraged at all my friends! This was my 3rd application cycle and the very first interview invite. Keep at it and you will succeed.