Premed 101 Forums

Ultrasound Tech Concerns

I am a 40-year-old U.S. male who's been out of the Navy six years.  I was a Sonarman.  I had some indecision about where my life was going afterward, and resigned to working in a factory, in an area where the only ways to make a comfortable living is either in the industrial sector or the medical field.  Factory life here, for me, is extremely unstimulating for having had my professional past, and robs me of my life.  I'm very unhappy.  If I had to be at work that long of hours, I'd rather invest that time into something I want to do or at least I find stimulating, as I did Sonar.

I had a military instructor who was on shore duty and studying to become an Ultra-Sound Technician, who I've lost contact with, and who also impressed upon me a possible future that I could apply my military vocation to.  One, if successful would provide me a steady income (I believed at the time).  As stated above, I struggled a little after the military to find a direction that suited my desires for career success and fulfilment, and I'm 40 now.  I would like to resume using my GI benefits for an accomplishable goal, as in becoming an Ultrasound Tech, but I have concerns. Those are:

1. My gender

2. My age

Will I have trouble getting a job after investing all that time into school, and having grown even older to where I'm not marketable for anything?  Please advise.  Thank you.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, J1280 said:
 I would like to resume using my GI benefits for an accomplishable goal, as in becoming an Ultrasound Tech, but I have concerns. Those are:

1. My gender

2. My age

Will I have trouble getting a job after investing all that time into school, and having grown even older to where I'm not marketable for anything?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Definitely not a problem in Quebec. Best of luck!