Premed 101 Forums

1st author or 3rd author for my primary research project in medical school?

This is a tough decision. I’d say 1st author, but ultimately, go for whichever suits the culture of the specialty you intend to pursue.

If the specialty you want likes research productivity, then I’d go for the 1st author pub. You will have gained more fundamental skills and thus a lot more to talk about as the lead on a project (reviewing the literature, leading a project, submitting, responding to reviewers, and possibly presenting the work at a conference) vs. doing what’ll probably be equivalent to scut work as a 3rd author.

If the specialty you want doesn’t actually care much about research, but instead, research is more just used for networking, then it depends on which opportunity you think will get you more “face time” with bigger names in the field, who can then hopefully write you a strong letter. Even for this, my opinion is that 1st author will likely be better because it’ll give you more opportunity to show your skills, but I’m not sure if for the 3rd author you’ll be working with some really big names. If the latter, then if you have enough time in your training, you could always use the 3rd author opportunity as a springboard for something better with the big names in the future (having by then established those relationships).