Premed 101 Forums

UBC MPT Northern & Fraser Valley Cohort Seats [Question]

Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding UBC's MPT Northern & Fraser Valley cohort.

UBC's website states that if you apply for the Northern and Fraser Valley Cohort that it will not increase your chances of getting in. However, I don't understand how that could be.

The Vancouver campus only has 80 seats while the Northern and Fraser valley have 20 each, therefore, by applying to all, you have 120 seats available to compete for.

I did notice that the website states, you are first accepted into the Vancouver campus and then distributed accordingly to Northern/Fraser Valley, however, it is still hard to understand.

Does anyone have any ideas or input regarding this?

Thanks for your time everyone! Good luck to you all.

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless, you still have to meet the standards for GPA, volunteering, and extracurriculars to get in.  In my opinion, the statement from UBC of not having a greater chance of getting in is made more with he intention of discouraging people to apply to places they don't want to go and work long term.  If you don't want to go somewhere rural like PG (North Cohort), you shouldn't apply there because the focus is slightly different and geared more towards rural practice.  They want people to choose where they want to go, partly with the hope that they can retain staff in other jurisdictions that know the clientele in the area.  If everyone who trained in PG just wanted to move to Van after the program, it would be a waste because the number of trained professionals in the North would never actually improve.