Premed 101 Forums

What EC would help my application? I have a non-traditional life story and would love some advice

Redface

Hello

My question is regarding EC. I am planning my journey to medical school and was wondering which EC would best distinguish my application in relation to my life story so far. 

My story: 

I am 26 and the youngest of 4 brothers. All of my brothers were born with a congenital disease (they all were on wheelchairs) which shortened their lives. Ive been caring for my brothers since I was 13. Due to the nature of the care I've sustained many injuries. Ive also seen many traumatic events caring for my brothers (ER visits, strokes, mental issues, etc). Ive been told by many people that I took great care of my brothers, while they were at their best or worst. Living with my vulnerable brothers I have developed a great deal of empathy for those who are sick. I am also a Registered Nurse. I completed my nursing degree (took me 2 extra years) while caring for all 3 of my brothers. This involved taking them to therapy, ER visits, places they would enjoy to visit and spending time with them (as disability often leads to a lack of friends imo). 2 of my brothers passed away while I was still in nursing school. This impacted my gpa greatly (3.8 to 2.7 in my later years). I also took 2 extra years to complete my degree as taking a full course load and caring for my brothers was a lot to handle. I have enrolled in a 2nd degree to improve my GPA and get a 2nd shot at medical school. 

My last brother passed away 2 months ago and I cared for him while we both were severely ill with Covid. My lungs have been permanently damaged because of my lack of self care while I took care of my brother. I do not regret my decision and would do it again in a heart beat for my brother. All my brothers have passed away now and I am left with an empty void. I feel this void can be filled by doing something Ive always found meaningful. That is to become a doctor and care for other people that have similar disabilities as my brothers. 

I do genuinely have a soft spot for those with disabilities. How should I frame my EC in order to demonstrate my story and distinguish me as an applicant? 

Thank you very much! And happy New Years! 

You're asking what extracurricular activities to do to help your application? I cant tell from your story if you have actually practised as a nurse, but if you have, then you have the clinical exposure bit done. I could also see talking about caring for your family as volunteerism. At this point you should do whatever makes you happy, and that you can commit to for the next while. It's good to have a long-term activity to discuss, and ideally potentially unique from other applicants.

Caring for your brothers was a major long term activity demonstrating empathy, focus, leadership, and problem solving skills communication skills. You also have a meaningful explanation for your less than stellar GPA so far. I think you have ECs covered and your focus should be on academics, although I agree that you should do whatever makes you happy that demonstrates CanMEDS competencies. Your story does distinguish you from other applicants and when the occasion occurs, I would be happy to review the best draft of your future work product in your application. :P