Premed 101 Forums

Passing a Residency Rotation with concerns.. Need your advice

Hi everyone,

I am a PGY-1 FM resident and just finished my OBS rotation last month. Throughout the rotation I received daily positive feedback in the form of

field notes. However, on one day, I received a field note commenting on deficiencies in my lack of OBS knowledge and OBS skills and documentation. So, afterwards, I sent an email to my evaluator to meet with them to see if there is anything I can do to improve moving forwards ( but I did not receive a reply from them). Now, 2 weeks after my rotation ended, they inform me that I will pass with concerns and cited all concerns from that one preceptor that I worked with that gave me poor evaluation. When I tried to tell the final  evaluator that it was only one field note and I have asked you for your feedback early on ( why did you not let me know of this earlier).. etc. That resulted in me getting a worse final ITER.My ITER now says that I have some deficiencies in my OBS knowledge, but also " can't take feedback" and was "very defensive" and "argumentative" ( when my intention was to advocate for myself).

Now, all my other ITERs are really strong and all of them speak about my professionalism. I feel I was treated unfairly during the  OBS rotation, and was wondering what can a resident do in such situations. Can a resident appeal pass with "concerns"

• obsstruggle changed the title to Passing a Residency Rotation with concerns.. Need your advice

Honestly my first reaction is "you don't need to give a fook"

Because 1) you passed 2) you are in family medicine, where jobs are limitless

Assuming you aren't struggling badly in your first year and will eventually pass the CFPC

Also I assume your aspiration is not to deliver a lot of babies working as a FM

As above it probably doesn't matter, but if you do have an aspiration to work OB-heavy at the place where you got a poor evaluation, you can discuss your options with your program and volunteer to do another OB rotation focusing on the feedback you got, and try and see if you can ahead of time have a plan for more active feedback, and then show your improvement on the second rotation.

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

As above it probably doesn't matter, but if you do have an aspiration to work OB-heavy at the place where you got a poor evaluation, you can discuss your options with your program and volunteer to do another OB rotation focusing on the feedback you got, and try and see if you can ahead of time have a plan for more active feedback, and then show your improvement on the second rotation.

5 hours ago, shikimate said:

Honestly my first reaction is "you don't need to give a fook"

Because 1) you passed 2) you are in family medicine, where jobs are limitless

Assuming you aren't struggling badly in your first year and will eventually pass the CFPC

Also I assume your aspiration is not to deliver a lot of babies working as a FM

55 minutes ago, heydere said:

Could you DM me your site? Had a similar experience. Ultimately, I found that ITERS don’t matter. No one sees them even if u apply for +1s 

Thank you all for your help! I have no intention of doing anything that has to do with OBS. I will move on, as it seems that there is nothing that can be done.

22 hours ago, obsstruggle said:

Hi everyone,

I am a PGY-1 FM resident and just finished my OBS rotation last month. Throughout the rotation I received daily positive feedback in the form of

field notes. However, on one day, I received a field note commenting on deficiencies in my lack of OBS knowledge and OBS skills and documentation. So, afterwards, I sent an email to my evaluator to meet with them to see if there is anything I can do to improve moving forwards ( but I did not receive a reply from them). Now, 2 weeks after my rotation ended, they inform me that I will pass with concerns and cited all concerns from that one preceptor that I worked with that gave me poor evaluation. When I tried to tell the final  evaluator that it was only one field note and I have asked you for your feedback early on ( why did you not let me know of this earlier).. etc. That resulted in me getting a worse final ITER.My ITER now says that I have some deficiencies in my OBS knowledge, but also " can't take feedback" and was "very defensive" and "argumentative" ( when my intention was to advocate for myself).

Now, all my other ITERs are really strong and all of them speak about my professionalism. I feel I was treated unfairly during the  OBS rotation, and was wondering what can a resident do in such situations. Can a resident appeal pass with "concerns"

Sounds like you got shafted, but its not a big deal - document, document, document. Save all your other daily field notes from different field notes. At the end of the day, no one cares what your ITERS say, as long as you passed the rotation. 

Don't sweat it. Move on, and do well on your other rotations.