Premed 101 Forums

How can residents transfer residency from Canada to the US?

Yesterday, a FM resident told me that one of his colleagues transferred from PGY-1 FM from a Canadian Residency program to PGY-1 in Ophthalmology in New York. How do people do that kind of transfer? Do you let PGME know and they help you transfer ( apparently no one from his home program knew of anything until he matched at another program).

2 hours ago, averagemedstudent said:

Yesterday, a FM resident told me that one of his colleagues transferred from PGY-1 FM from a Canadian Residency program to PGY-1 in Ophthalmology in New York. How do people do that kind of transfer? Do you let PGME know and they help you transfer ( apparently no one from his home program knew of anything until he matched at another program).

You would need to do the USMLE exams, and follow the same steps as anyone else applying to the NRMP US match(Specifically the Sanfrancisco match for Ophthalmology).  The person definitely did not "transfer"; they essentially applied to the US match without telling their program(i imagine), and then likely ditched the Canadian program.  This is the most likely scenario I see, as I am doubtful of any lateral "transfer" across nation boundaries. There is more to the story, perhaps they had a FM PD that was sympathetic, and offered to help to an extent - but AFAIK, there must have been something less than usual protocol, or the FM program was willing to "relieve" the person from their CARMS contract, given that its FM and programs often aren't too fussed about funding/losing residents etc.