Premed 101 Forums

Listing experiences on CaRMS with back-up specialty in mind

1. So, let's say that I am applying to Specialty #1 and backing up with Specialty #2. Most of my extra-curriculars and publications are in #1, and only a few in #2. 

Do I add all of the experiences to the online CaRMS application, or do I add only some experiences (to show a balance between #1 and #2), and add all of the experiences in my personal CV?

2. Do I add 500 character descriptions to every experience? e.g. even electives?

I would still add everything, and just comment on why even though you did so much in A, you really want to do B, and how your experience in A shaped your desire to do B and will contribute to your skills as a resident in B, etc.

You don't have to max out the description (in fact don't as nobody wants to read that much) but you should discuss each and what makes them unique or how they contributed to your desire to do B

45 minutes ago, Snowden said:

@bearded frog Do you mind explaining what you mean by "comment on ..." and "you should discuss each...". My interpretation of the description section on the online CaRMS CV entries was closer to how you might fill out a bullet point under an entry on a PDF CV or even like an OMSAS/med school application description - something like "coordinated fundraising event for xyz charity". Are you suggesting that we should be writing a full sentence/paragraph discussion on each entry and how they relate to specialty of interest? Is it possible you could please provide an example format of what you mean? Thanks in advance!

I meant generally, in your personal statement and in interviews, if asked. For descriptions of electives I had around 4 sentences, describing it and saying how it contributed to my desire to be a pediatrician or whatever. If i recall I think the descriptions are generic for all programs so you cant customize them, so you'll want to carefully construct them to support your applications to both specialties, if possible.