Premed 101 Forums

Second Undergrad for UofT DDS NEED HELP!

Hello everyone, 

I just graduated with a honours BSc from uOttawa and I'd like to go to UofT for Dentistry. Although I qualify for UWO, and I'm quite competitive for it, (4.0 GPA two year, extensive research experience, 27AA DAT), I'm not eligible nor am I competitive for UofT (My cGPA for UofT comes down to around 3.1). I've lived in London ON for 6 years prior to beginning my undergrad in Ottawa and although there's nothing inherently wrong with it, I just cant seem to wrap my head around living in London again for 4 more years. Toronto has been my dream city for so long and I have my heart set on UofT even if that means I graduate DDS a couple years late. With that being saidddd...

1. Does doing a second degree make me less competitive compared to other applicants that are applying with their first degree? I had a 4.0 my final two years and I'm confident that I can finish my second undergrad with no less than a 4.0 as well. Also, I got a 27AA on the DAT on my first try, I could get the same or higher on my next try. I ask this because I don't want to waste time doing a second degree if the admissions team is going to favour people with a clean and pristine academic record.

2. I know two people that have applied to UofT DDS right after they finished second year and were beginning their third year, they got accepted, finished their third year and then went straight to Toronto for dental school. So I have established from multiple sources that, you need two years fully finished before applying and the third year counts as a conditional acceptance based on completing the third year. Does this mean that I can do the same? (Do two years of a second undergrad, apply, get in, finish third year), or does that not apply to me? I guess I'm kind of confused on their wording in terms of doing a second undergrad. Please tell me anything you know about applying with a second degree and what I would need to do for them to only consider that.

Also, although I appreciate everyone's replies, please don't advise me to do a master's as I've done multiple calculations and nothing brings me up to a 3.7+ GPA for admission. (Besides doing a second undergrad and wiping my record clean)

Thank you!