Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Invites/Regrets 2021-2022

1 minute ago, n-methyltyramine said:

True. But honestly, it's their fault. They could just ask us to write 4 essays, instead of 8 (since we have to do 2 essays for each of the 'core values' they list). 

For sure, we could see a change next cycle if there were an increase in essays. I really hope they do because write 8 of those things was hell lol

1 minute ago, greysweater said:

Even if applications are increased they adjust their MCAT cut offs yearly due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool so that they are left with the same # of apps to review!!! I think this is just admin delays and no need to stress over the application numbers.

True! I didn't think about that. Yeah they're probably raising the cut-off to minimize the number of applications they have to go through. I'm interested to see what the CARS cut-off this cycle will be for non-SWOMEN or non-ACCESS applicants. 

3 minutes ago, greysweater said:

Even if applications are increased they adjust their MCAT cut offs yearly due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool so that they are left with the same # of apps to review!!! I think this is just admin delays and no need to stress over the application numbers.

Also I haven’t heard of any significant increases in applications compared to last cycle if anything there’s been a slight dip so I don’t think application numbers is the reason, for example Queen’s said 5700+ last year but 5500+ this year 

1 minute ago, n-methyltyramine said:

True! I didn't think about that. Yeah they're probably raising the cut-off to minimize the number of applications they have to go through. I'm interested to see what the CARS cut-off this cycle will be for non-SWOMEN or non-ACCESS applicants. 

Honestly, I dont know if they would increase the cutoffs by alot cause if we think about it, three years ago I think their cars cutoff was around 129 but then it kept decreasing even tho there were an increase in applicants. 

2 minutes ago, Hanboy123 said:

I mean but how much could they increase their cutoffs by, they cant make the cutoffs all 129/129/129. 

Nah, but going from 127 CARS to 128 CARS would likely knock out a decent chunk of applicants. If we're placing bets, my money is on the CARS cut off increasing (since it think it was 128 a while back, through I might be mistaken)

Just now, n-methyltyramine said:

Nah, but going from 127 CARS to 128 CARS would likely knock out a decent chunk of applicants. If we're placing bets, my money is on the CARS cut off increasing (since it think it was 128 a while back, through I might be mistaken)

Honestly, I think more applicants nowadays have 128+ Cars cause before if u had like a 3.95, 128 and a decent casper, you would secure a mac interview. This year has shown thats not the case, alot of 3.95/128/4th quartile caspers were rejected so its a weird year tbh. 

Just now, Hanboy123 said:

Honestly, I dont know if they would increase the cutoffs by alot cause if we think about it, three years ago I think their cars cutoff was around 129 but then it kept decreasing even tho there were an increase in applicants. 

Yup, I could see this happening. But yeah that's crazy since 129 CARS = 95 percentile (i.e., in the top 5% of MCAT writers across the US and Canada).

https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/8356/download

Just now, Hanboy123 said:

Honestly, I think more applicants nowadays have 128+ Cars cause before if u had like a 3.95, 128 and a decent casper, you would secure a mac interview. This year has shown thats not the case, alot of 3.95/128/4th quartile caspers were rejected so its a weird year tbh. 

Yeah, I think that's also due to the fact that 4th quartile doesn't actually mean much. It jut means that you were in the top 25% of ALL casper writers (including PA students, undergrad nursing students, etc.). So I'd guess there's likely a big difference between 75th percentile and 90th or higher percentile

1 minute ago, Hanboy123 said:

Yikes so basically it just becomes harder for the non-SWOMEN people. I shouldve gone to Western instead of UoFT lol

Honestly, should have done my undergrad at uManitoba or uSaskatchewan (since then you'd be considered an IP applicant by the time you apply in 4th year). Really wish I'd known that going into undergrad