Time Stamp: 10:15am

Invite/reject: Rejection

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

ACCESS (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 3.89

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/128/127

Essays (X/8):  8/8 + about you.

This is my first application cycle. I wrote my essays in about one week and had them reviewed by a medical student, PA student, and my girlfriend who is pursuing law. I don't have a million ECs, but I have involved myself in things I am passionate about and have maintained relatively stable and long-term commitment. Repeated two activities, so perhaps this came off as a lack of breadth and depth of experience despite being able to connect back to core values. For next time, I plan on starting the writing process much earlier, using stronger language, and consulting more people for review. 

Time Stamp: 10:20

Invite/reject: R

IP/OOP: OOP

2YGPA: 3.9

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 517 (128,130,129,130)

Essays (X/8):  8/8

I know it was my essays that killed me. I didn't get anyone to look at them and I really didn't have time to edit them more than once unfortunately. I don't think I have particularly bad EC's but my essays just weren't written well enough to reflect. 

Time Stamp: 8:45am

Invite/reject: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

2YGPA: 3.85

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 514 (130/128/128/128)

Scared a bit of post-interview chances given my mediocre stats. Anyways felt super lucky about the II after 2 Rs from other schools. This might be my only chance this cycle :)

Good luck for everyone else getting an II! Those who didn't, I was in a similar shoe last year. I did nothing more than having more med students help reviewing my essays, keep doing all the research/extracurricular stuff. Luck is such a big factor here so don't take this too personal and beat yourself about it!

8 minutes ago, LMITC said:

Invite/reject: R

Scared a bit of post-interview chances given my mediocre stats. Anyways felt super lucky about the II after 2 Rs from other schools. This might be my only chance this cycle :)

Good luck for everyone else getting an II! Those who didn't, I was in a similar shoe last year. I did nothing more than having more med students help reviewing my essays, keep doing all the research/extracurricular stuff. Luck is such a big factor here so don't take this too personal and beat yourself about it!

Do u mean invite?? u wrote R

Time Stamp: 9:15 am

Invite/reject: Invite

2YGPA: 3.90 (I think)

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 517 (128/127/131/131)

Essays (X/8):  8/8 I followed a specific formula for the essays, and kept consistent for all of them. (Listed the three things I learned, one at a time, in a new paragraph starting with 'First I learned..." "Second"... I think this helped me present my thoughts clearly. Overall, felt pretty good about them and explicitly mentioned relation to CanMEDS roles. Had them reviewed by 1 med student.

EC's: Different types of employment (international model, server, hostess, sports and rec ambassador), different mental health initiatives on campus and in community, tutoring, mentoring, research (UG thesis + Master's thesis), 1 first author and 1 second author pub.

This is my first interview invite, after 2 rounds of applying in Ontario, so I'm stoked! 

Time Stamp: 8:39 am

2YGPA: 3.96

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 517 (129/130/128/130)

Essays (X/8):  8/8 + about you

Year: 4th year undergrad

Not sure what advice to give because I honestly rushed the essays and only had one person look over them briefly. In general, mine were more structured like a story than separated explicitly into the 3 things I learned (but they were still there). Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I am very late to this but thought I'd add it in to give some of my mediocre GPA applicants some hope

Time Stamp: 9:13am

Invite/reject: Invite!!!!

SWOMEN (Y/N): Y

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/125/127/130

Essays (X/8):  8/8 I spent a long time on these and really tried to reflect on my experiences. I had done three drafts of my essays by the time I submitted them. Personally, my ECs are a strong part of my application but I have a friend who received an interview with average ECs so I truly think it's not just what you did but how well you can reflect on the lessons you learned!! Try to do them ahead of time and get someone who truly cares about your success to read them over because they will give you the best input 

On 2/7/2022 at 4:27 PM, LMITC said:

Invite/reject: Invite

Thank you for posting. However, I thought that the GPA was only used as a cutoff and not competitively. This is what the admission admin told me. 

2 hours ago, Bawgg said:

Thank you for posting. However, I thought that the GPA was only used as a cutoff and not competitively. This is what the admission admin told me. 

Do they specify it's the case even after interview?

I read from previous posts that nobody knows how they evaluate people post-interview. So it's likely competitive too given that most people getting A still have quite high stats (I could totally be wrong).

2 hours ago, LMITC said:

Do they specify it's the case even after interview?

I read from previous posts that nobody knows how they evaluate people post-interview. So it's likely competitive too given that most people getting A still have quite high stats (I could totally be wrong).

They have stated that it’s a threshold in their 2020 winter grades update. 

On 2/25/2022 at 12:51 AM, Apex said:

They have stated that it’s a threshold in their 2020 winter grades update. 

Ohh really? Do you think they use it post interview to break ties like Ottawa? 

I just feel it can't be a coincidence that there weren't too many 3.7 GPAs admitted.

Super late, but:

Time Stamp: 8:47 am

2YGPA: 3.84 (I know)

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 520 (131/130/129/130)

Year: Master's in progress

Essays (X/8):  8/8 + pretty personal about you essay. From my last app cycle, I gained more experience, learned more lessons, etc so that def helped (also just being more mature, you realize how much you learned from these things ya know?). Also, it was my first time doing the About You essay.

Remembered because I have my interview tomorrow(!!)

On 3/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, Bawgg said:

Ohh really? Do you think they use it post interview to break ties like Ottawa? 

I just feel it can't be a coincidence that there weren't too many 3.7 GPAs admitted.

I honestly don’t know except for what they’ve listed on their website. There were definitely a few people getting an offer with lower GPAs on the forum. 

Taking a step back though, you have to realize the forums only represent a very small fraction of the actual students who are accepted. They send over 200 offers per cycle so trying to conclude anything based off of a handful of responses is unlikely yield any meaningful takeaways.

Lastly, I see in a previous post that you already stated that an AdCom member told you that it’s a cutoff, and not assessed competitively. That should be enough validation for you! I can definitely sympathize with the uncertainty of it all but try to relax and focus on the amazing opportunity that’s been given to you. Focus on things you have control over and do the best that you can!