Premed 101 Forums

emailing program director/coordinators with questions

applying to a moderately competitive specialty and one of the programs (not my home school, i have no previous ties/connections) is only interviewing 20 ppl.

there were 2 meet the PD sessions that i didn’t get to attend, and the registration for them was each capped to 10 ppl max. 

wondering if i should email the program coordinators (or PDs directly) with some specific questions that i had to help maximize a chance of getting an interview? it would be the same questions that i was planning to ask during interviews that are related to my specific interests within the specialty, and i couldn’t find more details online. the program website does encourage ppl to reach out and ask Qs, but im not sure if thats just formality

im worried that i would come off as obnoxious and/or if its too late to connect given that the apps are due by the end of the month

what are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NewClerk said:

Does this matter as much for family medicine? Do people applying to family email PDs as well?

No, it doesn’t really matter, except perhaps for very small family med sites that only have a couple of residents. Sure, people applying to family may email the PD - if you have a relevant question for them most PDs are nice and they would probably try to answer you…. But it’s unlikely to make a difference. 

thank you!

15 hours ago, frenchpress said:

No, it doesn’t really matter, except perhaps for very small family med sites that only have a couple of residents. Sure, people applying to family may email the PD - if you have a relevant question for them most PDs are nice and they would probably try to answer you…. But it’s unlikely to make a difference.