Premed 101 Forums

NOSM interview invites/regrets 2022

I know other schools have a similar thread going for interview invites and it might be helpful for future applicants!

Received an invite this morning (January 17th) at 8:30 AM.

I’m a non-traditional student and this is my second application cycle and this will be my second interview.

My biggest weakness is my GPA (3.60) but I was born and raised in a small northern Ontario town where I still live today after spending three years down East in my early 20s.

I have a Master’s degree in literature  and a background in Indigenous-based research, wellness and advocacy!

I applied via the RGS stream. 

Feel free to share your stats and outcome below.

Best of luck!!!

21 minutes ago, NOSMApplicant said:

Interview: Yes :)!!!!!
GPA: 3.5 + 0.2 from Masters 
Context:  Grew up in NO population < 10,000
Non-trad?: Yes, humanities 
# of previous applications: Second time applying 

Congrats! I am also coming from the humanities! I have an MA in Literature. Good luck! 

Hi folks!

Interview: yes!!!

Time stamp: 8:42am 

GPA: 3.72

Context: lived in a small, northern town in western Canada (population: 11K) most of my life plus got my 1st degree from a northern university.

Non-trad: no

Background: I’ve done a bit of everything- student class rep & club exec, wildfire emergency response, Indigenous/senior/child&youth mental health and wellness, capacity building overseas, research assistant, TA, hospital volunteer, and ESL tutor. Currently in tech school for medical imaging.

Previous applications: yes

Let’s show NOSM how awesome we are in these interviews :)

Interview: no

Time stamp:10:30am

GPA: 3.86

Context: born in northern Ontario, moved around all over Canada and living in <10,000 for 95% of it. 

Non traditional: very much so, engineering background with seven years R&D; Publication in design. Currently studying medicine abroad (2 semesters complete) but I want to build a connection with the communities that I will eventually be serving. My wife and I have two young children. 

Background: Volunteering with service clubs for 10 years including some larger community fundraisers. 15 years part time with emergency services with a lot of indigenous cultural exposure from coworkers. Leadership and instructional experience. 

# of previous applications: 3 including this application; no interviews

Good luck everyone on your interviews! Just be yourself and let them get to know you. 

Interview: no

Time: 9:26

GPA: below 3.5 (even with a +0.2 for masters) due to low gpa 1st degree 

context: ~10 years in NWO

Non-trad: as non trad as they come. approaching my 3rd decade, 2 degrees, a masters. First time applying for consideration of special circumstances - spent a lot of time writing my personal letter and submitted a documentation from my doctor -- so not having a second chance kinda stings not gonna lie. 

Background: lots, research, volunteer, big scholarship 

Good luck to everyone who will be interviewing!! I hope you consider posting your stats (successful or not) it would be nice to have the community here revived -- I know you are reading and watching for updates here ;)

H

Interview: No

Time: 9:10am Jan 17th

GPA: 3.6 (including .2 for masters)

Context: 25 years rural southern ON

Non-trad: 2 BAs and masters (2nd BA with high average, but low average for first BA), now working

Background: 5+ pubs, 5+ years of volunteering, working in a mental health clinic in a hospital as a counsellor/researcher, scholarships for last BA

First time applying.

Got an interview with MUN so I was surprised that I didn't get one for NOSM. Oh well! Good luck to everyone in their interviews!

Interview: Yes!

Time stamp: 08:25

GPA: 3.64

Context: grew up in northern Ontario, attended university in Sudbury

Non-trad: BPHE in Health Promotion, OTA/PTA diploma

Background: a lot of different experiences...rehab assistant work, volunteering in rehab, scribe/invigilator, tutor, work for medical staffing agency, work in covid swabbing clinic

Previous applications: Second year applying

Interview: yes

Time stamp: 08:43

GPA: 3.83

Context: grew up and currently reside in NO, attended university in Sudbury, francophone

Not sure if i'm considered trad or non-trad: 2 years out from graduating nursing, 2 years of experience as an RN

Background: RN in critical care, student council in 4th year, varsity athlete for 2 years, psw + home care psw work +more 

Previous applications : 1st year applying

Interview: Yes

Time stamp: 8:33 am

GPA: 3.80 - no masters

Context:  Grew up in rural Ontario population <10 000. Applied via RGS because it seemed very interesting to me and I am glad they added it.

Non-trad?: No. Completed a BSc in 2020 at the University of Guelph 

# of previous applications: 3rd time applying and 3rd interview. I hope this year is the year I am accepted! Interesting to see the addition of the panel interview. I believe this is a good way of getting some more personal information from the applicants.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview! To those that did not, keep trying. It is a long journey and your hard work will pay off!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure! It seems to be alphabetical, but it’s hard to know without more people commenting! There’s rumours about the wording of the emails, time stamp etc. I just like to think that it means nothing! Realistically we’ll never know so there’s no reason to worry about that. 

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...