Premed 101 Forums

Hi All, I am wanting to apply next year (2023) to the Ontario PT masters programs at McMaster, UoT, Queens, Western etc. I am 28 now and have been working in corporate business for the last 6 years. I have a great A+ average in the prerequisite courses and in recent months have been working at a chiropractor clinic to get relevant experience but want to know if my 3.5 or 3.6 sub-gpa will prevent me from being considered anyways. 

Are any of you aware of if the sub-gpa cutoff requirements are more relaxed for those not coming right out of school? Also can you confirm what exactly the sub-gpa cut off means.. is it that the school did not take anyone below that average for that year? 

If anyone here has experience applying as a mature student or know someone who has I would love to connect! 

To be honest with you that sgpa is extremely low.  Cutoff means anyone below it did not get considered regardless of what else they have to bring (experiences, volunteering, etc). Id encourage you to go to each schools website as some publish their admission stats.

only thing you can do is take courses to upgrade that sgpa.  PT school is extremely competitive.  For reference I have 3.8x sGPA but couldn’t get physio volunteering due to covid and I I’m almost certain I’ll get rejected.

As mentioned above, the sub-GPA cut-off is the GPA value you need to have in order for schools to consider your application. If you don't meet that value, you will not be considered. This value varies between schools; some in the low-mid 3.7's, others low-mid 3.8's. The highest cut-off from last year's cycle was Western's, sitting at a 3.84/4.0

Unfortunately, they aren't more relaxed or lenient with mature students. Everyone is considered equally. 

If you want some perspective on applying as a mature student, check out this podcast. I think you'll find it insightful.