Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school and grad school at the same time

Exfazel2

Hi everyone, I hope you all are doing well and staying safe :)

I have a question about applying to med school and grad school at the same time. I am applying to all the ontario medical schools and a couple of grad schools programs in Ontario as well. I'm applying to grad school as well because med is really competitive in Canada so I want back-up options in case med doesn't work out. Med school is my number 1 choice though. 

Here is my dilemna: Admission offers for one grad school come out in march and the courses for it start in late may. But admission offers for OMSAS comes out on May 10th. Hypothetically, If I accepted this grad school and didn't get into med school, then that's cool because I can do that graduate program. But, what if on May 10th, I miraculously (lol) get an acceptance from an ontario med school? Basically, if I withdraw from the grad school then there would be a notation on my transcript and academic record saying I withdrew from it, but would that cause issues with the med school I (hypothetically) accept?

A bit of other information: I am taking a gap year. When I applied for OMSAS, I had already finished all my undergrad courses. I submitted grad school months after OMSAS apps were due, so I didn't list anything about grad school on my OMSAS apps. 

I'm just really confused about this and if anyone has any insight on how I would handle this in the future, I would really appreciate it! I don't mean to be arrogant in this post at all haha, just thinking completely hypothetically and being neurotic about the future lol. Maybe it would be wise to contact the med schools I got an interview at and ask them if this is okay? 

Thanks for the help!!! :) 

If, at the time you applied to med, you were not enrolled in any grad program as you say, then I don’t think any med school can fault you for having later enrolled and then withdrawn from a grad school program months down the road. It’s perfectly explicable.

All sorts of things happen after an application is submitted. Applicants can’t be accused of omitting information about activities which have not yet happened.

22 minutes ago, MDee2B said:

If, at the time you applied to med, you were not enrolled in any grad program as you say, then I don’t think any med school can fault you for having later enrolled and then withdrawn from a grad school program months down the road. It’s perfectly explicable.

All sorts of things happen after an application is submitted. Applicants can’t be accused of omitting information about activities which have not yet happened.

Appreciate the insight! :) Yeah you got it, when I applied to med I wasn't enrolled in grad school or anything. 

Do you suggest I email the med schools I got interviews at, just to confirm and ask further about the policies regarding this? Thanks again!