Premed 101 Forums

Licensing in the US

My knowledge is limited on the process from a Canadian school but I'll share what I know. This is a link to what each state requires: https://www.cdcaexams.org/adex-acceptance-map/ 

Luckily most states are excepting manikin restorations now (thanks covid), the endo and prosth element is all manikin, perio varies from not required, manikin, to live patient. OSCE is the written component. 

Licensing exams are held at dental schools so you would somehow need to register with a US dental school.

If your desired state requires live patients, you are on the hook for finding a patient with the appropriate lesions and getting them to the school (I have heard it is an absolute nightmare and students have paid for patient's flights and accommodations).

Again, my knowledge is limited. Would love to hear what others have to say.

14 hours ago, HopefulDDS said:

Luckily most states are excepting manikin restorations now (thanks covid), the endo and prosth element is all manikin, perio varies from not required, manikin, to live patient. OSCE is the written component. 

Do you think the manikin restorations would stay as is even after covid? Or do you think they would go back to requiring a live patient? 

6 hours ago, Dr_Molar-Bear said:

Do you think the manikin restorations would stay as is even after covid? Or do you think they would go back to requiring a live patient? 

Moving away from live patients was already something student organizations were pushing for, for ethical reasons and it does seem to be sticking around so far. I believe on the site I linked have discerned which states have "date limited" manikin exams acceptance and which except all manikin exam acceptance. I believe the "date limited" ones were only during covid