Premed 101 Forums

What EC's should I aim for?

bn00

Hi everyone,

I am currently a fourth year engineering student at ualberta wondering if I even have a shot at med school. Here are my grades (according to ualberta grading) and EC's so far

My best 2 year gpa is a 3.81 (last two years)

My GPA with my lowest year dropped is a 3.63 

MCAT: 514

EC's aren't great. I have 2 summer work terms at engineering firms. About 100 volunteer hours for a charity in a non-medical field. Co-author of a biomedical engineering research paper

I graduate this winter and will be working full time right after. I was wondering what EC's could supplement my CV since the 3 schools that focus on my best two year gpa are heavily EC oriented. 

In general, you should do what is interesting to you. Things that you use to demonstrate growth, passion, and individuality in are the best things to pursue. Doesn't have to be medically related at all, although getting some exposure to healthcare could help with a little during interviews (but idk bc im not in med school). Some things you could do are join clubs, try new sports or learning musical instruments, writing for magazines/newspapers etc. 

For Queens something that has been generally observed is that they tend to favour people with very unique/interesting activities as opposed to run of the mill ECs. Some cool ones I have seen are designing your own fashion line, being an actress, scuba diving and taking pictures while doing it, travelling for photography, army/navy/air cadets, competing in beauty pageants, mountain climbing etc. Stupid thing is that a lot of these things are expensive and not everyone has the means to do unique things like this. But just try to be individual.