Premed 101 Forums

Ethical situational response structuring

Hey guys! I wanted some perspective to see how others are structuring this type of question. 
My structure currently is:

1. Talk about the different perspectives
2. If then scenarios.

However I find that I have a lot of if thens and then end up rambling a lot for 7+ minutes… I just wanted to see how others are approaching this sort of question so that I can improve! 

Thanks in advance! 

Previous interviewer here, ethical questions can be really difficult to approach especially when they are integrated with an opinion or behavioural type of question.

The best responses I have seen and how I would approach these questions myself is as follows:

Introduce yourself

Summary: concise 1 sentence summary of the question

Topic sentence: outline exactly what you are going to say: First I will discuss the ethical principles and conflicts, the relevant stakeholders (if ethical-behavioural), outline my plan of action and discuss the broader societal implications

States ethical principles that apply, use them correctly (for example, if you are talking about autonomy, you must establish capacity and informed consent)

Identify conflicts (like autonomy vs beneficence)

Discuss the relevant perspectives/stakeholders 

Outline you plan of action, you may have to use if-then scenarios *make sure to answer the question*

Summarize 

Discuss the broader implications of the issue/deeper applications of the question

Conclusion 

The key is to build a solid background in medical ethics and then practice applying these concepts to different types of questions!