Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

On 3/13/2022 at 7:25 AM, shikimate said:

I heard it was an abysmal year for pathology with very few applicants, anyone got the scoop?

Interesting, currently planning electives for my 4th year next year (class of 2023) and the pathology electives I want are all taken up, that might be a shift from this year to next year

On 3/18/2022 at 12:31 AM, Cantoune said:

Interesting, currently planning electives for my 4th year next year (class of 2023) and the pathology electives I want are all taken up, that might be a shift from this year to next year

Not necessarily, at least in my class, a number of people wanted pathology electives for the relative easy hours compared to other specialities, with no actual interest in pursuing pathology. 

23 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

Hello Guys, I was wondering how do you deal with stress and anxiety until April 12, it gets worsen as we move forward 

I understand how you feel and I hope that you will be able to match to your dream program.

I don't have an easy answer but I personally always feel better after putting things into perspective.

Not too long ago, my dream was to be accepted to medical school. If only that could happen. It was the only thing that I was asking the universe. I was convinced that once it would happen, that would be it. That was the biggest stress of my life. If only I got into medicine. From that point, I wouldn't have to worry about anything. Right :)

So I like to remind myself that each year, thousands of students and applicants devote time, money and tremendous efforts in the hopes of getting a privileged spot in a medical school in Canada. In parallel, an enormous amount of foreign trained graduates dream of having interviews in residency programs in Canada.

Here I am, living what I was dreaming for, living in a safe and fair country, healthy and about to graduate from a medical school that did not put me into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and am awaiting answers from several programs that I was fortunate to interview at. Sure, I worked hard but luck played a big role in all of this, at least for me.

No miracles will happen on April 12th but I have faith that in the end, you end where you should. The beauty of our process is that you can apply as many times as you wish, anywhere that you want. Rank only programs you are truly willing to attend. If you end up not matching, apply in second round or next year and come back as a stronger and more experienced candidate.

Most of all, enjoy this time before residency starts.

Best of luck to you all!

3 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

The beauty of our process is that you can apply as many times as you wish, anywhere that you want. Rank only programs you are truly willing to attend. If you end up not matching, apply in second round or next year and come back as a stronger and more experienced candidate.

Most of all, enjoy this time before residency starts.

Best of luck to you all!

I am not sure where you are training, but that is certainly not true throughout most of the Canadian schools. I don't want to scare above posters but some school wont allow you to extend clerkship,and they will ask you to apply to whatever is available in second round.  I know so so many Ortho, ENT, Urolology, Derm, Optho, Plastics gunners who are currently in my FM program and they are not the happiest.

3 hours ago, Samic1988 said:

Hello Guys, I was wondering how do you deal with stress and anxiety until April 12, it gets worsen as we move forward 

If you applied to FM, don't worry! Most people get in to their top choice program with absolutely no issues. 

8 hours ago, carmsregrets said:

I am not sure where you are training, but that is certainly not true throughout most of the Canadian schools. I don't want to scare above posters but some school wont allow you to extend clerkship,and they will ask you to apply to whatever is available in second round.  I know so so many Ortho, ENT, Urolology, Derm, Optho, Plastics gunners who are currently in my FM program and they are not the happiest.

If you applied to FM, don't worry! Most people get in to their top choice program with absolutely no issues. 

I am in Québec so I agree that what I wrote is limited to my knowledge here. I am quite surprised that it would be different (hence unfair) in the rest of Canada.

At my school, they can ask someone to apply to second round but you can decide not to.  They don't extend clerkship. So you can simply graduate medical school, go unmatched in the first round, not asking for clerkship extension and spend a year doing whatever you want before the next cycle. I know it's sounds easier said than done but I heard of a few residents that did that and go their ENT/Plastics/etc. spot.

14 hours ago, Samic1988 said:

I'm nervous too! I made a little match day countdown and bookmarked it on my laptop ahaha. Sometimes I wish we had as much chatter going on here as the US students on r_eddit and SDN. It feels lonely, the waiting.

7 minutes ago, jengamaster said:

I am only realistically interested in a few, mainly being st pauls, vancouver-fraser, and surrey-south fraser.  Anxious around ranking these. 

Don’t quite understand what you mean that you’re anxious about ranking them. Even if they’re competitive, you should rank sites in the order of your interest in them. There’s no harm in ranking something you’re less likely to match to over something you’re more likely to match to.