Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

2 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

Respectfully, I do not agree with you, programs can be much more organized like IM programs, All IM said they will send out the invites on Feb 18 at noon, so no one has not stress and knows exactly when to expect the news, when saying program people have other things to do, it has nothing to do with planning, scheduling, and being organized. Programs know roughly how many applications they receive each year, and they can easily manage to set a time and date in their program description to inform anxious applicants. The problem is they just don’t care, and we are bunch of numbers for them

Would it have been preferable then for you if all FM programs across Canada made the decision that all interviews would be released on Feb 18th at 11:59PM, with no possibility of earlier/rolling notifications if any programs finish their review earlier? If so, perhaps it might help yourself to frame it in your mind as "I will hear back on February 18, and hearing back from any programs earlier than that is just gravy." I know people waiting for that Feb 18 IM notification, and they are absolutely still stressed. They might not be stressing about when they'll hear back, but the stress about if they'll receive any/very few interviews is not insignificant.

I think you're neglecting to think about the humans doing all this. Many programs involve faculty and residents who volunteer their time to help with the file review. The difficult part is not about setting a time and date as you seem to think; it's the actually getting through all the file review in the very short CaRMS timeline. You're welcome to think whatever you'd like, but my opinion is programs - rather the people managing the programs - absolutely do care. This is not low risk for them either - they're hiring future colleagues that they will be working with for the next 2-6 years, for better or worse. To a certain extent, yes it's all numbers on a page, but it's also not. I think anyone who has ever done file review & interviews for medical school admissions can understand this sentiment.

4 minutes ago, carmsinoid said:

Would it have been preferable then for you if all FM programs across Canada made the decision that all interviews would be released on Feb 18th at 11:59PM, with no possibility of earlier/rolling notifications if any programs finish their review earlier? If so, perhaps it might help yourself to frame it in your mind as "I will hear back on February 18, and hearing back from any programs earlier than that is just gravy." I know people waiting for that Feb 18 IM notification, and they are absolutely still stressed. They might not be stressing about when they'll hear back, but the stress about if they'll receive any/very few interviews is not insignificant.

Oddly enough I wasn't stressed at all when I thought that all interview invites were coming out on the 18th, lol. I was so caught off guard when I got my first interview invite on February 11th (e-mail first, then CaRMS website update)! I thought that I'd read the CaRMS website thoroughly but clearly missed the memo on rolling invites...

I do agree that hearing back early is definitely a nice bonus, regardless, and perhaps relieves some of the pressure we'd all be feeling if all invites came out on the 18th.

2 minutes ago, carmsinoid said:

I think you're neglecting to think about the humans doing all this. Many programs involve faculty and residents who volunteer their time to help with the file review. The difficult part is not about setting a time and date as you seem to think; it's the actually getting through all the file review in the very short CaRMS timeline. You're welcome to think whatever you'd like, but my opinion is programs - rather the people managing the programs - absolutely do care. This is not low risk for them either - they're hiring future colleagues that they will be working with for the next 2-6 years, for better or worse. To a certain extent, yes it's all numbers on a page, but it's also not. I think anyone who has ever done file review & interviews for medical school admissions can understand this sentiment.

I think you are neglecting that humans do many things, not only reviewing residency files, but also building airplanes, sending rockets to space and ….., IF humans can not plan for their work, none of major things could have been happening in our life, what you do not get from my point is, being organized and scheduling is the basic point of each task, if FM programs would have said Feb 18, 11:59 pm, they should not send earlier, you can not set a time for a plane to takeoff and then takeoff earlier, so as a future colleague, I would urge you to practice planning in your future business life, because if not, you could cause major stress to others surrounding you.

2 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

I think you are neglecting that humans do many things, not only reviewing residency files, but also building airplanes, sending rockets to space and ….., IF humans can not plan for their work, none of major things could have been happening in our life, what you do not get from my point is, being organized and scheduling is the basic point of each task, if FM programs would have said Feb 18, 11:59 pm, they should not send earlier, you can not set a time for a plane to takeoff and then takeoff earlier, so as a future colleague, I would urge you to practice planning in your future business life, because if not, you could cause major stress to others surrounding you.

Personally I find those with compassion are much easier people to interact with. Part of compassion also involves recognizing that nothing is ever black and white, and it's all about the nuances and details. But you do you.

7 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

With all due respect, my friend, I think you need to take a step back and refocus your perspective on this. Programs not telling applicants the exact day/time of when they will hear back about their interview status is not an undue inconvenience and is not something to get in a huff about. Everything is going to be okay.

Just now, carmsinoid said:

Personally I find those with compassion are much easier people to interact with. Part of compassion also involves recognizing that nothing is ever black and white, and it's all about the nuances and details. But you do you.

I feel you, but that’s completely different for me, I find those organized, and punctual ones much more reliable and easier to interact, rather than just being compassionate and justification of every fault 

1 minute ago, Samic1988 said:

I feel you, but that’s completely different for me, I find those organized, and punctual ones much more reliable and easier to interact, rather than just being compassionate and justification of every fault 

It is known that every program will give updates on interviews by Feb 18th. Technically you could shut off your email until then and now you have the same thing IM is doing? Arguably, you'd be more upset if they gave set deadlines they did not meet. It's important to have some empathy, you will eventually find out.

24 minutes ago, FamMed4Life said:

Can you share the link for that data? Thanks!

Just hare-brained speculation on my part for why FM invites seem to be coming out later than for other programs! I have no idea why FM invites haven't come out yet - whether it's from more applications or something else. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? I apologise if it came across any other way - I don't mean for my speculation to create anxiety in others (only to relieve some in myself).

24 minutes ago, SkepticalStudent said:

Just hare-brained speculation on my part for why FM invites seem to be coming out later than for other programs! I have no idea why FM invites haven't come out yet - whether it's from more applications or something else. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? I apologise if it came across any other way - I don't mean for my speculation to create anxiety in others (only to relieve some in myself).

Ok thank you! I saw you updated that you received FM @ McGill. At what time did you get it? 

3 hours ago, NewClerk said:

Thats interesting considering interview invites have to be released by Feb 18th. I wonder if that means they wont be using it as a pre-interview cutoff? Or do the schools receive the scores before we do?

I attended an open house and they said they would not be using the FMProC score for determining interviews since it will likely come out only a few days before the invite deadline. It is likely the case with other schools that the scores will be used post-interview, probably conservatively since it is the first year implementing this test.

Applicants need to upload their score to CaRMS but schools are also directly notified of our scores by FMProC.

Just got my first interview status update... A refusal from UdeM IM. Given how much they seem to exclusively weigh your MSPR at this stage this makes me very nervous for the rest of the interview offers coming out the 18th... I thought I had a pretty strong MSPR, apart from 2 comments I got from staff that point to areas where I need improvement. I guess maybe that was enough of a red flag? Idk but this is hard to take. :(

30 minutes ago, 7rue said:

Just got my first interview status update... A refusal from UdeM IM. Given how much they seem to exclusively weigh your MSPR at this stage this makes me very nervous for the rest of the interview offers coming out the 18th... I thought I had a pretty strong MSPR, apart from 2 comments I got from staff that point to areas where I need improvement. I guess maybe that was enough of a red flag? Idk but this is hard to take. :(

Hang in there. This is just the first of many! I know this is disheartening but many other programs will look at much more than your MSPR. You’ve got this! 

47 minutes ago, 7rue said:

Same boat here. I didn’t get an interview despite having pretty strong MSPR. I got so stressed and started checking every verb meaning in my MSPR.

have you provided french proof thu? (Althu i speak french). Me I did not and I remain hopeful that it was the reason

4 minutes ago, burner34098 said:

anyone have strategies for getting over the feeling of defeat with rejections? Still waiting on most of my interview results but so far have more rejections than invites and not confident enough to believe things are going to look up for other schools

Here is what I can tell about this stressful process, there are times that you feel defeated, I totally get that, but rest assured that when you don’t expect, things quickly change in a way that you can not imagine, there are 3 days left, even 2nd iteration, and there are tons of hopes. Stay positive you will get it done and remember a doc is always doc no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Medstudent2022 said:

does anyone know if invites that were sent from McGill were for CMG or IMG? And of refusals get released usually at the same time or after invites..

McGill doesn’t have IMG or CMG, it has Regular stream which includes both, so, we can say they have sent invites to both of them