Premed 101 Forums

Is it permitted to redo a class that you passed but only barely?

Dentaldad

I’ve returned back to CEGEP and I need competitive grades

I currently am taking a mechanics class and the teacher is simply incompetent. 

I fear I will pass… but with a 65-70 when I need 90+. 

The deadline to drop the course is on Monday and I worry: 

If possible, I would like to keep this class, do my best, and just retake it for a better grade if need be a second time. 

Otherwise, I drop the course and have to put off doing this class later on again. 

17 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Just remember, you can always do an undergrad degree after Cegep and apply later

Thank you for your response. I don’t understand this part though. Doing an undergrad degree after cegep and apply later to what? 

I’m taking the pre requisites for dentistry like organic chem and physics etc as seen here https://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/4-year-dmd-program/requirements

once I complete cegep DEC in health sciences with competitive grades, I can pick any bachelors degree I want then apply to do dental school. 

6 hours ago, ppapaye said:

If you don't get accepted into dent-p when you're in cégep, you can do an undergrad degree, work hard to have better grades, redo the casper and apply to dental school after

Exactly! :P In Cegep, my grades were not competitive. From undergrad, I got into med school on my first try. University allowed me to mature, to develop a strong work ethic, good study habits, time and stress management skills. These extra years prepared me for the study of medicine and were definitely not wasted. 

It's nice of people to come and "try" to answer the question I asked but my question again was the title:

"Is it permitted to redo a class that you passed but only barely?" 

I'm referring to CEGEP. Does it not matter if I do poorly? Seems like the consensus is you can have bad grades in CEGEP and just continue to do an undergrad and its all fine.

What exactly is your goal here? What is your current R score? What undergrad program do you plan on applying to? If it's not highly competitive, then I don't think your ability to get in will hinge on a single cegep course.

Also, even if your cegep does let you retake a course – which I believe most cegeps will not – your old grade would not be erased, and so the contribution to your overall R score would be minimal. 

Bottom line is: look at the requirements for the undergrad programs you're interested in and do what it takes to get there. Once you complete your undergrad, your cegep R score has no bearing on your entrance into medicine or dentistry.

3 hours ago, soupefroide said:

What exactly is your goal here? What is your current R score? What undergrad program do you plan on applying to? If it's not highly competitive, then I don't think your ability to get in will hinge on a single cegep course.

So a little back story, I'm 30 and I returned to school where I left off. I dropped out of CEGEP / changed programs a lot. 

I want to pursue dentistry. I was looking over the requirements on McGill's website, and it asks for a bachelors and - 2 introductory biology courses - 2 general chemistry courses - 1 organic chemistry course - 2 introductory physics courses (1 calculus course could be used towards half of the required credits in physics), and of course DAT.. CASPER results, etc.

So the admissions would look over those CEGEP grades, wouldn't they? I therefore would need competitive grades. 

After finishing CEGEP, I plan to get a bachelor's in Finance, I just need any bachelor's to apply and that one seems the most valuable to obtain so that I can have a plan B as well.