Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone!

I’ve seen lots of these threads before and was looking for one for the McMaster MSc in Global Health for Fall 2022 and had no success so I figured I’d start one here! 

Looks like we won’t be hearing from McMaster Global Health office for a while (most past year forums say offer letters received around mid may), but I thought it’d be useful to start one of these to share stories and updates! 

Please feel free to share whatever you’re comfortable with! 

I am a first time applicant who applied on February 8th 2022 (chronic procrastinator). I’ve been in school for way too long now, but this program sounded amazing and in-line with my goals, so i had to at least “put my name in the hat” for this!

Fingers crossed for us all:)

Great to see that my post was received:) I was a little bit worried that no one would be checking the previous year forum, so thank you for replying! I have a few questions.

How many people are in your grad class? Do you know anything about admission statistics, ie. regular GPA for acceptance, how many apply vs. how many get in, etc.?

Are they still doing the second semesters in other countries for your grad class?

How is the coursework difficulty thus far?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, lifetimestudent said:

Great to see that my post was received:) I was a little bit worried that no one would be checking the previous year forum, so thank you for replying! I have a few questions.

How many people are in your grad class? Do you know anything about admission statistics, ie. regular GPA for acceptance, how many apply vs. how many get in, etc.?

Are they still doing the second semesters in other countries for your grad class?

How is the coursework difficulty thus far?

Thanks!

I think we have around 100 students.

I have no actual insight into the admissions process, but it seems like anyone who meets the B+ average requirement genuinely gets considered for the program. My classmates and I have never talked about our GPAs, but I know that having a higher GPA doesn't necessarily mean you will get accepted over or before someone with a lower grade. They seem to really prioritize students who display an interest in global health.

I've heard different numbers regarding how many applicants there were, ranging from 700 to around 1000.

Yup! Some students are in Maastricht right now. Not sure if we have anyone going to other countries, but I know Maastricht-local students also got to do their in-person exchanges in Colombia, Thailand, and Canada.

The coursework is not difficult compared to my undergraduate program which had tons of report writing and was marked rather harshly. That said, there are a ton of assignments that pile up really quickly. The most difficult aspect about the program is really time management and working efficiently with others (lots of group projects and presentations).

Thank you! That's definitely relieving to hear about GPA requirements, as my GPA wasn't the best score on a 12 point scale, but I am hoping that the selection committee respects my unique education background.

The coursework sounds similar to the nursing program that I just completed. I did my science degree before that, so when I was in the nursing program, I found the coursework to be quite easy in comparison to the science program, however the nursing program required much more time out of the week. 

Thank you for the insight! Hoping for the best and thank you again for replying:)

• 1 month later...

Hey for all those who accepted, whats the next step after making a McMaster mosaic account? Has anyone received any emails on making a deposit, or anything else from SGS? They said they'd be sending emails on what to do next but I haven't received anything yet.

Also, the "My Applications" part on my student account shows a blue square indicating that I have a conditional offer but when I click "view requirements" it says my application is complete. Is this normal? What does it say for you folks? 

52 minutes ago, myboyDACHIE said:

Hey for all those who accepted, whats the next step after making a McMaster mosaic account? Has anyone received any emails on making a deposit, or anything else from SGS? They said they'd be sending emails on what to do next but I haven't received anything yet.

Also, the "My Applications" part on my student account shows a blue square indicating that I have a conditional offer but when I click "view requirements" it says my application is complete. Is this normal? What does it say for you folks? 

Haven't received any emails regarding next steps either.

Shows the same thing on Mosaic for me (including "view requirements").