Premed 101 Forums

Honour Health Science at Marianopolis vs. JAC

Hi! I am a secondary 5 student who just currently got the acceptance letter from marianopolis to honour health science and am waiting on a response from JAC.

I've visited both CEGEPs and honestly, I think both CEGEP campuses look great. Even though I haven't gotten the letter from JAC yet, I still want to get an "inside" of the College based on the honour health science program(honour science for JAC)

I would be GREATLY appreciated if anyone who has attended or is attending the school can explain what it feels like as a student there, for example:

How did you like the courses there? Are the teachers good? How are the students there? What is the atmosphere like studying there? What was your R-score? Do you regret going there?

I went on different webs for infos and apparently, both have stereotypes that I am not sure if are indeed true(for example from what I saw: Marianopolis students only care about themselves and burn others' notebooks, not nice to their fellow classmates. )

Hii my best friend goes to jac and used to be in honour health science. The honour program is apparently quite rigorous and the students are super good at school which can be very stressful, but the r-score are amazing. You can be way under the average in a science class and still get a 25 r score in the class or get a 40,xxx in a complementary language class. -_- This is absolutely not the case in an average cegep, it's almost impossible to get a 40 even if you have a 99 average in a science class. :blink:

My friend really loves the vibe at jac. The campus is indeed super great. Most of the people she met are very nice and helpful. She made a lot of friends. Theres also a lot of clubs (radio club, a concert band, etc) and the choices of English classes and complementary classes are great. :D

If you're really unsure about which cégep to choose, I would also recommend that you look up which one is closer to your house. 25 minutes is not very different from an hour but when you have an 8 am class you'll really appreciate the extra minutes of sleep. ;)

Since you will be going into an honour program, I have some advice for you (which I think also applies to anyone going to cégep and aiming for a very high r score). Try to not start cégep thinking it will be easy because you got really good grades in secondary school. Good grades in secondary don't mean good grades in cégep if you got your grades without knowing how to study, without putting any efforts or without listening to class. The important thing in cégep to stand out from the other great students is to put alot of efforts, ask questions to teachers (even if you're almost sure you understand a project it can still help), do homework/studying almost every day, participate in class, try to have a friend/contact in each of your classes, be organized, have fun and take breaks.

Also, don't hesitate to get help if you have a problem even it means you have to take a break from school !! whether it's a mental health problem or a school problem, once you start to ignore it, it gets bigger and bigger. There are some ressources available in the cégep if you need. :)

• 11 months later...