Premed 101 Forums

Western interview thoughts

UWOnerd

Did anyone else feel really horrible coming out of their interview?

The questions were so abstract and broad. I felt like there were multiple directions I could have gone with my answers and had a difficult time taking a specific approach. I also feel like all the prep I did in terms of following structure was hard to apply to these questions. 

I'm reminding myself that perhaps I feel worse because I'm comparing to last year's interview which felt better and I think it was objectively easier as well. Telling myself it's all relative and I did the best I can and hopefully the interviewers will be flexible with the answers that they accept because of how vague/broad/wordy the questions were.

Hey @UWOnerd!

I also thought the questions this cycle were unnecessarily convoluted so you are definitely not alone in this situation! I was completely thrown off by a few questions even though I interviewed at western last year as well :( I also felt like I wasn't answering what was being asked for half of the questions and completely bombed a couple but well, we will see in May...

8 hours ago, emmy said:

Hey @UWOnerd!

I also thought the questions this cycle were unnecessarily convoluted so you are definitely not alone in this situation! I was completely thrown off by a few questions even though I interviewed at western last year as well :( I also felt like I wasn't answering what was being asked for half of the questions and completely bombed a couple but well, we will see in May...

Omg I completely relate to this. I think 1 question I completely misinterpreted and I feel like I didn't answer all of the different parts of several other questions (I would forget them while answering the question). I just hope they'll mark more leniently on our weaker answers if they found our overall performance and answer to other questions strong (this is what I've heard they do at least).

All we can do now is wait unfortunately. Take care of yourself and feel free to message if you want to vent to someone also struggling to wait until may :)

15 hours ago, UWOnerd said:

Omg I completely relate to this. I think 1 question I completely misinterpreted and I feel like I didn't answer all of the different parts of several other questions (I would forget them while answering the question). I just hope they'll mark more leniently on our weaker answers if they found our overall performance and answer to other questions strong (this is what I've heard they do at least).

All we can do now is wait unfortunately. Take care of yourself and feel free to message if you want to vent to someone also struggling to wait until may :)

By the way, how was your panel? I heard that schulich's panel tend to be really friendly and chill but my panel for both years were cold and didn't really give any reaction (not even nods) so it was really hard to gauge how they felt about my answers :(

@emmy Sorry idk how to reply to specific messages bc I am a grandma but my panel was neutral I'd say! My physician gave a few nods here and there, my community member and med student kept a fairly neutral expression throughout. I feel like they warmed up a bit towards the end of the interview compared to the beginning but I would say that it was on the neutral/slightly warm side. I think it's really just a matter of luck because some individuals had SUPER friendly panels where they were exchanging jokes and providing feedback after the answers, some had completely cold ones and then some were in between. I would say don't let your panel freak you out. Their engagement (or lack thereof) is not an accurate representation of your performance. As long as you were genuine and answered the questions to the best of your ability, I am sure you did perfectly fine!!!

yeah - I mean the Western interview panels have been variable - it really is just up to who ever is interviewing that day. As others have said it doesn't matter in terms of scoring though - I have seen the friendliest interviews completely downvote someone, and a stone cold appearing one give the highest possible marks. The only way this impacts you negatively would be your reaction - some people can get flustered with a colder panel, and may not have on a warmer one. It does work in reverse too though - some point get a bit "too loose" with a warmer panel and go off the rails as well ha. 

Bottom line points - all schools are aware of this sort of thing and take steps to manage it, and you need to practice for interviews with both cold or warm seeming groups. Then you get what you get and go from there :)

I was super thrown off that there wasn't like a warm-up, "tell me about yourself" type question to get the ball rolling...we just like jumped in! thankfully was able to squeeze in an introduction in my second answer. i did feel like some of the questions were a bit redundant? like asking the same type of issues in different ways. felt like the time flew by tho and was surprised that the questions weren't deeper. overall felt it went pretty good!