Premed 101 Forums

The wait

The worst part is I don’t know how to plan my summer. Do I bother looking for a real job? Just find something temporary? Say fuck it and go travelling? Should I renew my lease or go month to month? I have some savings, so I think I’d like to buy a home if I move, but buying a home is a long process, so should I start looking or hold off? I have a few different health issues that need to be addressed, but do I bother going to my appointments here if I’m going to be gone before actually get treated? The uncertainty of my future is so stressful for me. Plus my partner plans on moving with me, so it puts his life a bit up in the air as well, and it makes me feel pretty guilty. 

22 hours ago, Catsandstuff said:

The worst part is I don’t know how to plan my summer. Do I bother looking for a real job? Just find something temporary? Say fuck it and go travelling? Should I renew my lease or go month to month? I have some savings, so I think I’d like to buy a home if I move, but buying a home is a long process, so should I start looking or hold off? I have a few different health issues that need to be addressed, but do I bother going to my appointments here if I’m going to be gone before actually get treated? The uncertainty of my future is so stressful for me. Plus my partner plans on moving with me, so it puts his life a bit up in the air as well, and it makes me feel pretty guilty. 

I understand your pain and I think some of these are definitely dependent on waiting to hear back, but come on... you don't need to find out about med school decisions to get medical treatment, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do you bother going to your appointments to get treated for health issues because you haven't heard from U of A Medicine.... think about that for a second. Sure you may not be able to plan your summer fully, but you can start working towards Plan A vs Plan B vs Plan C...... etc.  And please go to your appointments, they are in no way dependent on waiting on med school............

23 hours ago, Catsandstuff said:

Hey, I'm currently an MS4 waiting for Match Day, so I absolutely sympathize with you here--delaying these decisions can be painful and stressful. I would just like to second @mayerofcanada and really encourage you to not put your physical or mental health on hold for medicine. The waiting never ends and it always seems like there's another hoop to jump through and another career milestone to unlock, and it's really not feasible to put your own health on pause in the long run.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, mayerofcanada said:

And please go to your appointments, they are in no way dependent on waiting on med school............

Thanks for the concern, but they actually are dependent on me getting into medical school. These aren’t just general health stuff, they are long term issues that will need follow up appointments with the same provider. I could start now, but then that would mean that either I come back for treatment or I find a new provider and restart at the bottom of their waiting list if I move. They’re minor enough that they can be held off being addressed right away, so it’s a lot easier for me to wait until I know if I get in so I don’t have to travel between cities to get treated. 

Anyways, I was more just complaining because I really hate the uncertainty. The medical stuff is just one small part haha.

I'm a UofA 3rd year and I'd suggest you start on your medical treatments as the wait can be long. Hopefully you hear back in May and know but if you're on the wait list, it'll be even more waiting. If you get accepted, reach out to the school and to PFSP (Phsyisian and family support program) and explain your situation. You can most likely be referred to a physician in Edmonton who can continue your treatment and is accepting of medical students as patients. At the same time, I'd reach out to the Office of Advocacy and Wellness at oawadmin@ualberta.ca and ask them to help you make that transition.