Premed 101 Forums

Which specialties were particularly competitive OR had many unmatched students at your school?

SML

8 hours ago, Redpill said:

Ophtho and EM seemed especially competitive this year from what I saw

Edit: most people who went EM backed up and matched FM or internal. I know a few ophtho unmatched however...

Ophtho was surprisingly not that competitive in Quebec this year, seems like an odd year but everyone I know who was interested in ophtho got in

4 hours ago, mdlifecrisis said:

Ophtho was surprisingly not that competitive in Quebec this year, seems like an odd year but everyone I know who was interested in ophtho got in

This seems to be a pattern actually..  QC is different.  

From the graph below you can see that Public Health, Medical Genetics, Psych were all more competitive than ophtho last year - it was the 4th least competitive discipline.  Pediatric neurology was apparently the most competitive followed radiation oncology, ENT, NeuroSx and orthopedic surgery.

And path is actually more competitive than FM there as well.  

ecQlqFV.png

I am surprised that a lot of people who applied to surgical sub specialty matched in internal medicine(second choice). That left so many people unmatched who are  genuinely interested in internal medicine. I am not sure how program evaluate who are genuinely interested in their corresponding program.

23 minutes ago, jupiter22 said:

I am surprised that a lot of people who applied to surgical sub specialty matched in internal medicine(second choice). That left so many people unmatched who are  genuinely interested in internal medicine. I am not sure how program evaluate who are genuinely interested in their corresponding program.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the fact that AFMC implemented the 8-week electives cap 2 years ago, it has been much harder for programs to discern which ones are backing up with IM and which ones are genuinely interested. This is why the # of applications to IM exploded in the last 2 years. And also why we are seeing a decline in fill rates for FM. 

4 hours ago, jupiter22 said:

Why do you assume they are not geniunely interested? People can be interested in more than one thing...

Definitely, there are people who are interested in more than one program and there is nothing wrong with that.  Personally I know one of my classmate who said IM is brutal(while in CTU) and harsh specialty(not going to go there), and guess what :P ended up in IM(first choice was a surgical specialty). 

Couple of others did not match because they only applied to IM :(

Regarding IM competitiveness, also doesn't help that with the pandemic and difficulty getting electives in some places, many IM programs are explicitly stating that they are not looking too much at # of IM electives to measure commitment to the field... So even harder to get a leg up even if you pour all your electives into IM.

With the electives cap which allows everyone and their dog to now parallel plan with IM with ease, as well as virtual interviews (which are likely here to stay) which make it much easier for people to apply and interview at even more programs (since it's actually feasible to attend like 20 virtual interviews whereas that'd be pretty much impossible back in the day when you had to fly all over the place), it's no wonder that IM is becoming more competitive.