Premed 101 Forums

University of Alberta DDS 2026

The Facebook group that is made each year consists of all the years of dentistry as that’s where all the information regarding the DDS students is posted. There’s no Facebook group for any one class. Anything that regards just the first years will typically go through their class group chat via their class rep (which gets appointed sometime in august or September.) Hope that makes sense! 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Lovecoffee said:

Congrats to everyone who made it! Planning to apply next cycle. For your Verifiers, does it matter what position they hold at the organization? Like would it matter if I get the president/owner of the company vs. A staff member as verifier? 

I think you have to balance using verifiers with a title vs. ones that worked more directly with you and can better speak to your strengths. For one of my volunteer roles, I chose to use the person who trained me and regularly observed me in the role instead of the Director or even local head of the organization. It definitely looks good to have someone "important" vouch for you, but there are written responses verifiers complete that someone who doesn't know you well might have trouble completing in a way that makes you stand out.

• 3 weeks later...

for volunteer experiences do verifiers have to write a letter or respond on your attendance/performance? I only ask because I had volunteered at a hospital for a long time with 200+ hours except the volunteer management shifted during this time and the new manager isn't the best, where she was strict with missed shifts and deemed my performance as low quality with unsatisfactory attendance. She did say she would verify my hours except I don't want her to jeopardize my application and include false narratives of my contributions at the hospital. What would you do??? 

Hey. I have a question in regards to the application. You know how it says 3 entries under employment, 3 under leadership/volunteer experiencer, 1 entry for personal life experience and achievements, and 1 entry for personal highlights. Does this mean that I should only mention 3 leadership experiences (like 1 per entry), and 1 personal life experience because it says 1. Or can I write multiple in 1. Please explain. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 6:55 PM, Teeththief said:

Anyone accepted into UofA this cycle and felt they had a strong personal statement open to sharing their personal statement with me so I can get a good example. I am applying next cycle and I want a strong statement except I know I struggle with telling a story or getting my point across clear. Thank you!! 

Same here. Send them my way as well if possible!! Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I know the deadlines have already passed but I was just thinking of my application and I just recently started shadowing a general dentist in September and due to the fact that it's a newly opened clinic, I have no gotten a lot of hours in. I also only wrote down the number of hours I have been there but since the deadline was November 1st, I mentioned that, in the duration period section, I will be doing that activity till December 2022. Does that indicate to the admissions team that I am still doing this activity or was I supposed to explicitly mention it in the description part?