Premed 101 Forums

Would this be considered clinical experience?

Hi everyone, I’m looking for advice on my current level of clinical experience and obtaining more.

A little background: I took all my pre-med requirements in undergrad and graduated in 2019. I allowed imposture syndrome and other mental difficulties to hold me back from taking the MCAT and going after medicine. I’m in a better place mentally now, and I’m succeeding with things I struggled with in the past. I plan to take the MCAT in early 2023 and apply the 2023 cycle.

In undergrad, I got a good amount of non-clinical volunteer experience and decent amount of shadowing, but I didn't really have any other clinical experiences. I don’t have anything really notable during my time in graduate school due to the pandemic starting in the middle of my 2nd semester and lasting throughout the rest of my 2-year program.

I currently work as a surveillance epidemiologist. In this position I conduct surveillance on a hospital acquired infection and use medical records on a daily basis to assist in case reporting. Would this be considered a form of clinical experience?

I’m looking into getting plugged in as a volunteer at a local hospital as well to get some more clinical experience. Any suggestions for other things I can do to make myself a better candidate?

• 1 month later...

You could flex it to be, but the way you've described it sounds like chart review. Traditionally "clinical" experience meant interaction with patients, as in "it's clinical if you could smell the patient". That being said, in the days of covid and limited opportunity, likely what you have is fine, regardless.