Premed 101 Forums

Paramedic Diploma to Undergrad for med school

Hello, 

I am currently working as a full time paramedic and hoping to eventually get into NOSM. I have lived in northern Ontario for most of my life and recognize the urgent need for doctors in our area. 

My questions are regarding the application process.  I graduated the paramedic program with honours. My Paramedic Diploma can be converted to 30 credits toward an undergrad with the possibility of a few extra credits. As a mature student, I only need a 3 year degree, but does anyone know if the transfer credits would count towards my GPA calculation? Would it just be easier to get a 3 year degree from scratch and focus on keeping my grades high?

Some people mention that you need FT schooling to be counted, does this mean if I take 4-5 years to finish an undergrad while working as a medic full-time that it wouldn't count for application purposes? 

Are there any specific recommendations for universities regarding 3yr degrees with online course loads? 

I can answer any questions about my background further if needed.

Thanks for your time!

Hello!

Glad to hear that you are interested in applying to NOSM. From a context perspective, the fact that you have lived in Northern Ontario for most of your life will help when calculating your pre-interview score.

Whenever posed with these sorts of questions, I would always suggest contacting admissions as they probably have the most accurate and up-to-date information. However, to address your question, I was able to find the below from the NOSM website:

image.thumb.png.b47134d69faaead5d2d403f51270b601.png

By the looks of it, and given that you are a mature applicant, it is possible to complete your 3 or 4 year degree through a transfer of credits from a college. However, it does indicate that at the time you do apply, you must have completed a minimum of 10 full-course credits, 20 half-course credits, or a combination of the two at the university level, which I believe is the equivalent of one full year under a full course load. I would image that the transfer credits would be used to assess you as an applicant. GPA from transfer credits will not count, however, if performance was only assessed by pass/fail.

I do not know if it would be easier to for you to complete a 3-year undergrad degree from scratch. I am unfamiliar how grades from college education would be converted to OMSAS or NOSM's GPA calculation. The minimum GPA requirement to apply to NOSM is a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, but a higher GPA will make you more competitive.

In regards to your question about full time and part time status, I also found this on the NOSM website:

image.thumb.png.859f11bc4568ca94e8e789feb745277b.png

So, no, for NOSM it does not matter if you complete your degree full-time or part-time. I know that it matters for other schools, however. Regardless, as long as you complete the academic requirements, your applicant will be considered. You are also able to complete online coursework and still have your application accepted. See below:

image.thumb.png.e185bd33c50815602205337381a0b043.png

Hope that helps! Again, I would always encourage you to visit the NOSM website or speak with admissions directly.

https://www.nosm.ca/education/md-program/admissions/admission-requirements/