Premed 101 Forums

Changes to admission to Usask Med

Based on the admissions renewal and admissions committee work, the following changes to MD admissions have been recently approved through all university governance processes:

• submission of short personal essay(s)—opportunity for applicants to share their background and relevant experiences
  • participation in a panel interview
  • minimum entrance average requirement of 80% for all applicants (a lower average of 75% for Saskatchewan-residents had been introduced when there was a shift to a four-year degree requirement in consideration of a smaller applicant pool; the applicant pool has increased now to historic levels and this new threshold would not have significantly disadvantaged the last four years of matriculants)
  • implementation of an Indigenous Admissions Circle, which will increase Indigenous representation and add a more holistic and cultural lens to the admissions process for Indigenous applicants; the goal is increasing the number of Indigenous applicants and students in the program, and strengthening our college’s response to the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC)
  • introduction of an Indigenous studies prerequisite beginning with 2024 applicants, also a response to the TRC Calls to Action
  • the Diversity and Social Accountability Admissions Program (DSAAP) will be expanded by transitioning it from an opt-in program (where applicants had to meet a strict financial threshold) to an opt-out program where all applicants will have the opportunity to respond to the DSAAP questionnaire and a DSAAP index will be calculated based on those responses
  • the Saskatchewan resident and non-Saskatchewan resident pools will be eliminated and applicants will be assessed through a Saskatchewan connectedness index based on admission factors linked to continued practice within the province; the goal is to admit more applicants that have a greater chance of practicing in the province after completing their medical studies
  • Existing requirements of a four-year degree, the MCAT exam and participation in multiple mini-interviews will continue.

No idea as to how the UAA will be calculated.

Link: https://words.usask.ca/usaskmeddean/2022/04/13/md-admissions-renewal-work-will-benefit-saskatchewan/

44 minutes ago, Blankbla said:

How so?

I sent email inquiring about gpa caclculation because I am thinking of applying this year. I am in professional school with tons of pass fail courses.

I don't know if I should write MCAT bcz my gpa is low. I had previously applied here but rejected post interview.

4 minutes ago, RV099 said:

I sent email inquiring about gpa caclculation because I am thinking of applying this year. I am in professional school with tons of pass fail courses.

I don't know if I should write MCAT bcz my gpa is low. I had previously applied here but rejected post interview.

So did they tell you UAA is changing or were you just inquiring?

Just now, Blankbla said:

They told me that process by which uaa be calculated is changing, after I inquire about my gpa calculation.

They did not tell me how because this information will be out in July. I am not sure what to take from this.  They may count entire academic year or choose 2 years. Who know!

11 minutes ago, RV099 said:

They told me that process by which uaa be calculated is changing, after I inquire about my gpa calculation.

They did not tell me how because this information will be out in July. I am not sure what to take from this.  They may count entire academic year or choose 2 years. Who know!

Wow, seems unfair of them to publicize the other changes but not have any mention of any UAA changes. Gives applicants to the upcoming cycle no way of preparing.

Should I even be preparing for the MCAT right now only to find out a few months before the deadline that I no longer meet the mystery UAA requirements? 

17 minutes ago, Blankbla said:

Wow, seems unfair of them to publicize the other changes but not have any mention of any UAA changes. Gives applicants to the upcoming cycle no way of preparing.

Should I even be preparing for the MCAT right now only to find out a few months before the deadline that I no longer meet the mystery UAA requirements? 

Same! I do not know if should even rewrite MCAT because my gpa is low. Just looking at the acceptance thread, it appears gpa percentage are so high. 

12 hours ago, RV099 said:

They will also change the way uaa will be calculated

NO WAY???? OMG!!!! thats crazy...i mean this was kinda expected though as ppl are getting high average now. i see many being accepted with high 80s and 90s...the days of getting in with 81 are gone...  

5 hours ago, LawToMed91 said:

NO WAY???? OMG!!!! thats crazy...i mean this was kinda expected though as ppl are getting high average now. i see many being accepted with high 80s and 90s...the days of getting in with 81 are gone...  

I think next cycle there could be a drop in the admission average due to the ip status changes 

11 hours ago, Blankbla said:

This is also my concern. I'm hoping that they update us earlier than July, at least just with some vague indication. Also I'm hoping they will calculate the last two years as opposed to cGPA..... Super worried and not quite sure how I'm going to manage my anxiety for the next two months ........... 

1 hour ago, plzhelp said:

This is also my concern. I'm hoping that they update us earlier than July, at least just with some vague indication. Also I'm hoping they will calculate the last two years as opposed to cGPA..... Super worried and not quite sure how I'm going to manage my anxiety for the next two months ........... 

I am sorry I did not intend to cause anxiety to anyone, as I posted it as a discussion. HelpMeImLost might be correct since they are stating its minimum of 80% and changes may push the average down, so may be its best years. I def. do not meet 80% minimum GPA requirement if they count all courses! Are there many out of province students studying in Usask?

Email said by document will be update by July 5th. 

18 hours ago, RV099 said:

I am sorry I did not intend to cause anxiety to anyone, as I posted it as a discussion. HelpMeImLost might be correct since they are stating its minimum of 80% and changes may push the average down, so may be its best years. I def. do not meet 80% minimum GPA requirement if they count all courses! Are there many out of province students studying in Usask?

Email said by document will be update by July 5th. 

2021 stats said the total number of "in province" applicants is 340. 

They also give values for the number of in-province applicants who graduated from a Saskatchewan high school. If you add the Rural + Urban sections it equals 266. Subtract 266 from 340 and you get 74.

So roughly.. in 2021.. 74 out of 340 "in-province" applicants are 'out of province' applicants who did their undergrad in Sask. This is a super rough estimate.. but that means approximately 22% of the IP pool was out of province, doing their UG in Sask to get IP status. 

You could do the same calculations with applicants who were interviewed and accepted too... i think. Interesting stuff! 

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

2 hours ago, plzhelp said:

They also give values for the number of in-province applicants who graduated from a Saskatchewan high school. If you add the Rural + Urban sections it equals 266. Subtract 266 from 340 and you get 74.

So roughly.. in 2021.. 74 out of 340 "in-province" applicants are 'out of province' applicants who did their undergrad in Sask. This is a super rough estimate.. but that means approximately 22% of the IP pool was out of province, doing their UG in Sask to get IP status. 

You could do the same calculations with applicants who were interviewed and accepted too... i think. Interesting stuff! 

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

Wow, 22%! 

2 hours ago, plzhelp said:

Idk! I finished high school outside of Saskatchewan but I have been resident here for more than 15 years..... I would fall into those 22%!! Similarly, some high schooler from Ontario may transfer to SK high school in grade 12, so they could fall into 74. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Blankbla said:

The updated information with respect to the UAA is posted 

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/Admissions/new-uaa-calculation.pdf

Here is the up to date information: https://medicine.usask.ca/admission-to-the-md-program/how-to-apply.php#ApplicantInformation

It appears as if someone doing 2nd degree cannot have their gpa counted from it unless that degree is awarded.

Applicants must have a minimum of 120 CU completed at the time of application and the UAA will be calculated using the most recent 120 CU working from the awarding of the degree back. Any courses taken after the awarding of the degree will not be considered until after an additional degree has been awarded.”

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what the questions for personal statement are? The app guide said it will be posted on the app when it opens but I can’t find it. Unless it’s in supplemental documents. I am planning on applying next year. If anyone knows can you please share the questions? I want to get an early start on my personal statement