Premed 101 Forums

2021/2022 Waitlist Party!

1 hour ago, FF20 said:

Do you guys know why mostly the OOP people get in off the waitlist? I doubt that there is only one waitlist because mostly OOPs get off the waitlist, It makes sense that if an OOP declines their offer, that offer would go to another OOPs on the waitlist, that way it explains why mostly OOPs get in. Can we vote on how many IPs and OOPs are on the waitlist? I really hope the waitlist is not like 100 people. Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting in is as an IPs off the waitlist is based on previous years? My waitlist time stamp was 10:51:50 am.

I think if OOP declines that spot could go to an IP or OOP depending on who is ranked higher. Caveat being that if OOP spots are maxed out then the rest of the OOP are skipped. OOP tend to have higher stats so it's likely they'll be on WL, especially if there were more than 29 OOP in the top 288 so whatever number of OOP above 29 were in the top 288 would be on the waitlist plus however many people in addition to the 288 offers made.

tldr;; there's probably one list

2 hours ago, Comcastaway said:

I think if OOP declines that spot could go to an IP or OOP depending on who is ranked higher. Caveat being that if OOP spots are maxed out then the rest of the OOP are skipped. OOP tend to have higher stats so it's likely they'll be on WL, especially if there were more than 29 OOP in the top 288 so whatever number of OOP above 29 were in the top 288 would be on the waitlist plus however many people in addition to the 288 offers made.

tldr;; there's probably one list

So is it safe to say that the top of the waitlist are likely all OOPs.

Another problem with trying to sort this out is the rural and indigenous streams. Some people are only considered for rural or indigenous paths, some are considered for both and general and then even more are just considered for general stream. All this to say.....there is to many variables to meaningfully draw conclusions or speculate. For example, you could be bottom of the barrel on the general stream but top of the list for the rural stream. We all have no choice but to sit, wait, and refresh our emails obsessively LOL

If there was ever a convenient time to sign up for the series Alone...I think now would be a good one....

21 hours ago, Brockolli911 said:

Another problem with trying to sort this out is the rural and indigenous streams. Some people are only considered for rural or indigenous paths, some are considered for both and general and then even more are just considered for general stream. All this to say.....there is to many variables to meaningfully draw conclusions or speculate. For example, you could be bottom of the barrel on the general stream but top of the list for the rural stream. We all have no choice but to sit, wait, and refresh our emails obsessively LOL

If there was ever a convenient time to sign up for the series Alone...I think now would be a good one....

thats true. theres different streams they need to account for... I wouldnt wanna have their job lmao

Last year 56 people declined their offer (highest in years) which means it must have gone to the waitlisted people, even if we say 21/29 accepted OOP got off from the waitlist (assuming 70% of OOP got in from the waitlist) that means (56-21=25) 25 people from IP pool at least must have gotten from the waitlist. I checked the forum from the last year, I believe only 4-5 IP posted that they got off from the waitlist, meaning at least 20 IP from the waitllist did not post. So when you check the forum if you don't see that many people posting doesn't mean there are not many people getting in from the waitlist. As a caveat, we don't know how many people will decline this year and we can just hope for the best. 

2 hours ago, Nidhogg said:

do you guys think we will hear back on Monday the 23rd or later on in the week?

Based on the past experience, UBC normally sends the offer on the same day that the previous round decision is due OR the following buisness day. So I would guess either this Friday or next Tuesday.

I have a question if anyone can help answer! 

So say someone from out of province accepts their UBC offer and paid the 1k deposit, but theyre on a waitlist for another OMSAS school. So now say they get accepted into that OMSAS school from the waitlist and pay the deposit for that school and plan to attend there. Do they then "hold up" that seat at UBC until the first day of classes? or can UBC tell if they accepted another school? 

Just now, Nidhogg said:

I have a question if anyone can help answer! 

So say someone from out of province accepts their UBC offer and paid the 1k deposit, but theyre on a waitlist for another OMSAS school. So now say they get accepted into that OMSAS school from the waitlist and pay the deposit for that school and plan to attend there. Do they then "hold up" that seat at UBC until the first day of classes? or can UBC tell if they accepted another school? 

UBC can not tell if you accept an OMSAS school so they do hold the seat. But if this said individual got off waitlist at the OMSAS school and prefers that school they would likely email UBC and give up their seat to the next person on UBC waitlist.