Premed 101 Forums

WESTERN WAITLIST 2022

Hey everyone! Someone made a spreadsheet similar to Ottawa's for their waitlist—we're trying to figure out if the timestamp of email is correlated to your spot on the waitlist. 

According to previous years we know the high waitlist usually gets cleared, and we make 1/3 to 1/2 through the normal waitlist (apparently). The email you recieved should indicate whether you are on the high, normal, or low waitlist (specific wording, if you're not sure, ask!). 

Please try to fill out this spreadsheet -> to access the time down to the millisecond, click the three dots on Gmail -> show original -> control F your time and find the millisecond. Put it in the spreadsheet!!! Thanks so much and good luck to all of you. You made it this far, can't give up now! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYLhBehUPv51vRiswCM1qXXWpbyKPbxt_vWYMppUe5g/edit#gid=0 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 5:02 PM, Emmzy said:

What is the wording on how to know if we are on the high, normal or low wait list??

High: "In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal: "Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low: "In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission."

56 minutes ago, epic gamer said:

The wait is so painful.... how many do they do in one go?

I believe they call you before sending an email, so it can go fairly slowly. Not 100% sure though.

Edit for clarity: Even if they do these in batches, how many they get done depends on how easy it is to get a hold of people and how many peoples are making calls. The batches would likely follow some kind of pattern: calls for a couple of hours, calls stop for a bit (breaks), no calls during lunch, no calls past a certain hour, etc.

Edited by WesternWaiter
Added some additional information for clarity.

1 minute ago, epic gamer said:

But it doesnt seem to be in chronological order for origin of email time. Does this mean email time isnt indicative of order?

People above that person may or may not have had the chance to update the spreadsheet BUT regardless, I don’t think email time is indicative of order anymore because I heard someone with LWL got an email pretty early on in the morning so… 

I wonder how many other people will post they got in today though because only 1 person in 1 day seems like a really low amount.. 

20 minutes ago, sr_2000 said:

People above that person may or may not have had the chance to update the spreadsheet BUT regardless, I don’t think email time is indicative of order anymore because I heard someone with LWL got an email pretty early on in the morning so… 

I wonder how many other people will post they got in today though because only 1 person in 1 day seems like a really low amount.. 

Yeah, I don't think it's totally indicative of rank, either. They did seem to do them in batches by WL type (for the most part) when the offers were originally sent out, but I have wondered if OMSAS number, province of residence, application submission time, Western student number, or some other parameter determined the email order. Or perhaps it was random within batches.

But even the batch hypothesis has some holes in it given your story about an early LWL offer. Though I wonder whether some people failed to modify their timezone to match London (EST) time. Even if the batch hypothesis is correct despite a few anomalies, it could be that the initial sequence is attempted and then messages that fail to send are reattempted at the end.

There was even an acceptance after most of the WL offers apparently. Makes you wonder.

Edited by WesternWaiter

40 minutes ago, sr_2000 said:

The person you are talking to either lied about being on the low wait list, or everyone on the normal and high wl is getting accepted. The latter being pretty much impossible.

9 minutes ago, uwo_wl said:

The person you are talking to either lied about being on the low wait list, or everyone on the normal and high wl is getting accepted. The latter being pretty much impossible.

I had a call this morning that I missed from an unknown caller and was hoping it would be western but it’s been radio silence since lol (NWL) I doubt it was them tho 

i revoke my comment LOL i completely read it wrong I thought you meant the person got an email too (my brain is fried I apologize)

57 minutes ago, sr_2000 said:

Literally subjecting myself to spam calls :(

6 minutes ago, poorpremed said:

I had a call this morning that I missed from an unknown caller and was hoping it would be western but it’s been radio silence since lol (NWL) I doubt it was them tho 

15 minutes ago, uwo_wl said:

I think sr_2000 was saying that someone on the LWL received the May 10th email early in the morning, not that they received an offer today.

Based on that, I think it is perfectly possible to have been notified of one's WL position early since their algorithm might have some idiosyncrasies/require some manual intervention for select cases - both of which could ultimately result in anomalies with the notification emails.

17 minutes ago, uwo_wl said:

i revoke my comment LOL i completely read it wrong I thought you meant the person got an email too (my brain is fried I apologize)

Literally subjecting myself to spam calls :(

Haha I was a lil confused no worries!