Premed 101 Forums

Critical Care Fellowship in the States vs. Canada?

Hi everyone, 

I am a Canadian Anesthesia resident interested in pursuing an ICU fellowship and was hoping to clarify a few details with the hive: 

1) in the US, there is a separate stream of ICU fellowship for anesthesia trainees that is only one year whereas everyone goes through a 2 year program here in Canada. I was hoping to potentially do a combined icu + cardiac anesthesia fellowship (2 years) in the states and, if needed for royal college licensure in CCM, pursue a third year of fellowship. My question is: has any heard of this combo of icu + cardiac anesthesia being recognized for royal college licensure? Also, would going to the states be worthwhile as a way to make myself stand out / increase my chances of getting a desirable job here in vancouver? 

2) it also seems like the anesthesia-ICU fellowship stream in the states is mostly focused on surgical ICUs. Would this be a problem for coming back to Canada and getting a job as most ICUs in Canada are combined med/surg ICUs? I would of course pursue a program that has enough medical exposure to be competent (and would be willing to do an additional 3rd year as needed). 

3) any other advice for anesthesia trainees interested in ICU in terms of how I could diversify my training to become more employable? I hear of IM-based trainees doing a separate subspecialty first prior to ICU (Eg nephro, ID, cardiology, even hematology) as ways to become more employable and was wondering if there's relevant/useful additional fellowships for an anesthesia trainee apart from cardiac anesthesia? 

PS I've completed all my USMLE steps and would prefer to work in Canada (but would be prepared to work in the states should there be no desirable jobs). 

Thanks everyone!