Premed 101 Forums

Second (Accelerated) Undergrad or Go Abroad? Second degree success stories?

Hi all! :/ 

Background on me: BSc (Hons) from UofT (3.2 cGPA, annual GPAs for my last two years were 3.55 and 3.57, respectively), completing MSc at Waterloo (3.9 cGPA), tons of clinical volunteer hours, healthcare work experience, extracurriculars and non clinical volunteer work. I am currently in a bind because my school list is limited due to cut offs. I will trying for U.S. schools as well where I may have a better shot, but I did not take physics and orgo in undergrad. I may also have a good shot in Ireland, Australia, or the Caribbean. I will be taking the MCAT after I finish my MSc so I can focus on that alone. 

If going abroad does not work out, does anyone recommend completing an accelerated undergraduate degree to take some prereqs and boost my GPA? Any success stories with a similar path as me? 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I know several people who had success after doing a second undergrad. Most picked a degree/profession they would be happy practising if they did not get into med. Dietetics/Nutrition and Kinesiology seem to provide the best options if med doesn’t work out. But others have had success with arts degrees, or other science degrees. With previous degrees, a second undergrad will likely only take 2-3 years. Accelerated nursing is 2, but can be harder to get top grades, so unless you wan to go the NP route may not be the best choice.