Premed 101 Forums

Social work to Medical School?

I turn 30 this year and have been a social worker for almost 9 years. I currently working in addiction & mental health and I have always been interested in medicine. I have not taken science and math based courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, physics, etc) since high school.

For those of you who have successfully went to medical school with social-science or non traditional backgrounds, what advice would you have for someone in my situation? I will be breaking the MCAT prep down into each test category to try to best prepare. But recognize that I definitely do not have the education background most would bring to medical school, and I may be older than the majority of applicants too.

An added challenge is that my husband and I would also like to start a family, but he is certainly open to taking on more paternal responsibilities (e.g. taking paternity leave) if I were to pursue this.

We live in Southeastern Alberta, so I'd primarily be interested in applying to the University of Calgary. If successful, we'd intend on returning to SE Alberta afterward. 

It’s definitely possible to self study the MCAT and have zero science background and get a good score . Just needs a lot of perseverance and discipline. I used Kaplan and exam cracker prep books and leah4sci mcat videos.

You barely ever need any basic science in med school. It’s pretty much useless unless you want to go do something like pharmaceutical research. 

Also, I think it’s an advantage to be different than everyone else. It can make you stand out. Maturity and life experiences are important in medicine. 

In terms of family, it is possible to have kids in medical school and residency. But it’s not going to be easy. You gotta decide what’s your priority and be prepared to make sacrifices. 

Also, applying to one university will limit your chances of getting interviews and acceptances. Be prepared that it may take several applications to get into medical school. I would suggest applying as broadly as you can.

Thanks so much for your response. I would likely apply to the U of A and Memorial University of Newfoundland as back-up options (I have been in Alberta for 8 years, but I'm from NL and went to junior high/high school there). Therefore I meet the residency requirements for the MUN Faculty of Medicine. Preference would be to stay in Alberta, but it looks like MUN has less applications per spot.

I do love my career so going into this knowing it may never work out, and I may never get admitted. But it is certainly worth a try if I am able to achieve this. In terms of GPA I have a 3.95 so hopefully that would help too.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

Most people don’t know this but you can only claim ip status to one province. I don’t know what happens if you get caught but I would call the schools and ask. 

That's not true. If multiple schools have different criteria you can qualify as being in province for multiple schools and that's totally fine. It might have changed since but when I applied if you lived in the Yukon you were considered in-province at like 5 different schools lol

12 hours ago, bearded frog said:

That's not true. If multiple schools have different criteria you can qualify as being in province for multiple schools and that's totally fine. It might have changed since but when I applied if you lived in the Yukon you were considered in-province at like 5 different schools lol

Yeah I have seen people meeting the rules for more than one province, and people have played some games ha. Bottom line is the rules are followed as stated, and if there is nothing formally blocking you from doing it then well nothing is blocking you. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:48 PM, sdp732 said:

I turn 30 this year and have been a social worker for almost 9 years. I currently working in addiction & mental health and I have always been interested in medicine. I have not taken science and math based courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, physics, etc) since high school.

For those of you who have successfully went to medical school with social-science or non traditional backgrounds, what advice would you have for someone in my situation? I will be breaking the MCAT prep down into each test category to try to best prepare. But recognize that I definitely do not have the education background most would bring to medical school, and I may be older than the majority of applicants too.

An added challenge is that my husband and I would also like to start a family, but he is certainly open to taking on more paternal responsibilities (e.g. taking paternity leave) if I were to pursue this.

We live in Southeastern Alberta, so I'd primarily be interested in applying to the University of Calgary. If successful, we'd intend on returning to SE Alberta afterward. 

remember that medical school will teach you medicine - so it doesn't matter as much what you have prior. That is exactly why there is no preference towards a particular degree. That is no accident. 

Also ha, the MCAT is 1/2 arts and 1/2 science - again also by design. People seem to focus on the later but since CARS is often rather important for it that may not be logical. That is also no accident. 

So basically don't think of yourself as being somehow at a disadvantage - which is usually where I see people starting off in things (speaking as well as a non-trad applicant in the way past ha).