Premed 101 Forums

Is it OK to not have conference presentations?

I'm a 2nd year at a 3-year med school, and I'm hoping to get some CV advice. I have really, really bad presentation anxiety and I try to avoid public speaking as much as I can. Undergrad presentations were a nightmare and I'm so glad I put those days behind me. I've tried lots of things including therapy and B-blockers for situational anxiety but basically, by far I'm happiest when there are no presentations in sight lol.

I'm involved in a bunch of different research projects I'm super excited about, and I think they could lead to journal publications soon (yay!). I already have a manuscript published from undergrad where I'm co-first author, and a commentary published last year. I'm getting worried because my classmates are doing poster presentations, and I think most of them would probably have at least one or two by the time our CaRMS apps are due. They'll probably also have journal publications too. One of the projects I'm on has been presented at several conferences/research days which is great, but I've never been the presenter. Is it enough to just have manuscripts published without having any conference presentations? I have other ECs I'm happy with but it seems like this is one area where it's glaringly obvious I'm missing something :(

Well I believe most residencies have some kind of research day, whereas residents have to present at least 1 poster during their time there, so it would be hard to avoid public speaking at all. 

Also keep in mind many royal college exams have an oral component, so you'll be speaking in front of strangers.

Thanks, the recorded presentations sound like an interesting option! At the same time, I'm moreso wondering if it's needed to have conference presentations.

(Also, I know some public speaking situations like exams will be unavoidable and I've made my peace with that :( I really don't want to add more unless I have no choice.)

You definitely won't need poster presentations for CaRMS. No one will notice, people just want to see some kind of academic activity. However, if you aren't a fan of presenting, avoid academic medicine, there is so much speaking and talking in academics whether it is teaching, conferences or research days. 

On 6/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, Edict said:

You definitely won't need poster presentations for CaRMS. No one will notice, people just want to see some kind of academic activity. However, if you aren't a fan of presenting, avoid academic medicine, there is so much speaking and talking in academics whether it is teaching, conferences or research days. 

Thank you so much, that's very reassuring!!